Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the barnes meadow paddle hike into big south this weekend. The barnes route saw many takers this weekend. One telltale sign that kayakers were there were the little trails of plastic shavings along the big south trail where boaters had dragged their boats up to the top of prime time gorge.

As a gentle reminder, the big south is in a beautiful wilderness area that deserves to be treated with respect and a leave no trace ethic. I'd offer the suggestion to carry your boats on the trail proper and only drag on soft surfaces like the marsh, in the trees, or in dirt that won't leave shavings. If we continue to use this option, as a community we should strive to do better to leave no trace, especially in high use areas like the trail.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Word! I even saw someone drag my future Villain out the last little bit to the take out!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Crapor is totally correct. We need a better slogan to get through to these damn kids, like Stop Being a Pussy, or Grow a Pair And Shoulder Your Boat. Or maybe Clit Up, Boat Up. Ideas?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Crapor is totally correct. We need a better slogan to get through to these damn kids, like Stop Being a Pussy, or Grow a Pair And Shoulder Your Boat. Or maybe Clit Up, Boat Up. Ideas?
Good stuff. I'll just remind you guys, you'll be old someday too. I decided a few years back that my knees and back are part of my ecosystem and more important than my boat and even the ground I drag my boat on at times. Course, I'm not likely to run the Big South...

Carry on, so to speak... :)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't realize the Phish connection... that explains it.

Dave, draggin a villain wouldn't have done it... everyone knows they are indestructible.

Teaching the kids is surprisingly easy if your start young...

This weekend I took my 4.5 yr old boys on a hike. I told them about leave no trace, and that we need to "pack out" our trash, even someone elses trash sometimes. Along the hike, we found a raisin box, and my kids got a kick out of "packing it out". On the way back we came up on a smashed, goopy, messy lemon. I didn't want to pick it up as it was messy and I didn't have anything good to put it in. My kids revolted... "pack it out", "pack it out" they chanted. I got bullied by my kids, and I caved in and picked up the lemon. My kids reminded me that sometimes adults take shortcuts when they want to bend the rules. Of course when they are teenagers they might be breaking glass bottles on each others heads at the takeout, so the true test will come when they are older.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Put it where it'll get read

Oskar Blues, Eddy Line, and New Belgium needs to put those on their beer cans. That'd get the message through.

"Pick your boat up all ready"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts