Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone? Anyone? It'll be cold and rainy and perfect.

give me shout
frank

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, don't think I'm going to skip work and scrape down 45 cfs in the rain. Who's got their iron fist on Long Draw? That guy's killin' me! See you up there Saturday if the situation changes.

thanks for the update.

·
Registered
112 Posts
we did weird last year at 60...it sucked...should have just taken out and hiked....

which leads me to ask....how bad is the hike? is it worth it? and where's the best place to hike in from? from the CRC map it looks like it'd be better from the campground symbol than from the actual put-in.

what do you think?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Bryan--the hike's not too bad, mostly downhill and worth it.

I don't know if it's the campground symbol from CRC, but as you near the normal putin, there's parking on the left and a trail going down from there. It takes you to either Rock Lobster or the footbridge over Wierd Creek at the bottom.

Other options are from the back of Lake Peterson. From there, you can go to the Big South Trail, at which point going right gets you to the river between Fantasy Flight and Cool World, and going left takes you to just below Meltdown.

The hike is pretty similar in all three cases, and a juicy flow on Wierd beats them all!

·
Registered
13 Posts
BS

FYI -

When we did the run on Tuesday it looked like 2/3 of the water was coming out of Long Draw and 1/3 was coming out of the park. At that time the Long Draw gage was in the 190 cfs range and gage at the take out was just under 2' (1.9 or 1.8 if you're into that sort of thing).

With the flow from LD cut to about 40 cfs the river will be quite low. If you're thinking about hiking in, you might consider Peterson Lake.

Pro: This is an easy hike and you avoid some of the flat water, which is not too fun at low water.

Con: You only get the lower half of the run.

If you have friends in Greeley get them to turn their sprinklers on!

·
Registered
13 Posts
BS

Spoke to some guys who did a run today (Thurs). The level dropped during the day (as expected). In the afternoon the level was about 1.5 and it was raining hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts