Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran big south for the first time this weekend. Wow! What an incredible run! I found myself wondering how long the water would last after reading stuff about a couple week window after the gate is opened. I'd love to get back in there again before the water is totally gone.

I dug around on the net and found that long draw res. is operated by water supply and storage co in fort collins. Called them up and spoke with a guy there. He noted that they have water rights on long draw, the laramie tunnel, and some of the natural flow of the river. Since the river's natural flow is down they are pulling out of long draw and the tunnel to meet the irrigation demands of thier users. He noted that future releases are mainly based on upcoming irrigation demands and that that current plan is to irrigate every week til the end of the month (with no weeks off). He didn't nail down a number, but he thought long draw would stay about the same or maybe go up a bit as they keep up to meet their demand through the end of the month. So based on that, the big south could be around another couple of weeks at low flows. As always, subject to change...

This may be old news, but I didn't find anything on a search and thought I'd share.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts