Mountain Buzz banner

Big Kayaker Question

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  punkguitarbs 
#1 ·
I am looking into the sport of kayaking and I had a few questions. The main question is that I weigh 270 lbs and I am 6'6". Is there a kayak that can support that weight and is long enough. I am mainly interested in whitewater kayaking. Also what is a really good website to purchase whitewater kayaks? Thanks for the help.

#3 ·
There are lots of good boats for big guys these days. It's always good to shop local, but good info can be found on www.coloradokayak.com and www.noc.com. Both are long-standing, well-stocked outfitters.

They can help you decide on types and sizes. If you've never boated, I highly recommend a clinic from a good school - which both CKS and NOC have. Confluence Kayaks in Denver also has a rep for being great at teaching/introducing people to the sport.

Welcome, it's a great pastime.

#4 ·
I saw an Perception OverFlow X, the X being the important par, on craigstlist or something the other day. For begining that would be plenty of boat and you could get cheap.

Most companies do make bigger boats now. For a good play type boat I like the CR 250.

Peter

#5 ·
You need to check out the Jackson boats. Specifically the super fun and the mega rocker. I'm 6'8" 240 and these two boats are plenty big for me. The super fun is a good river/play boat and the mega rocker would be classified as a creeker. As mentioned previously go to a local shop and work with them. They will be able to help you decide on boats and all the other gear that goes along with this awesome sport. Good luck.

#6 ·
Fluid kayaks actually makes play boats and river runners that fit big people. My friend leif paddles for them and he is like 6' 7" and has room to spare in the large Flirt. I here the new nemisis fit very large people as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.