Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a MF Salmon trip this summer with 22 people. Way more than I have ever had on a trip. Have breakfast and dinner figured out but lunch for 22 people, having trouble coming up with decent options. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
300 Posts
For cold cuts I have always planned 5 sandwiches per pound and that has never failed. I don't include cheese in that. So 5 pounds of turkey, ham, roast beef for 25 sammies. Then a pound of cheese per 10 sammies. The emergency supplement is a bag of tortillas and a jar of Peanut Butter.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Doing a sandwich spread is the easiest and safest bet for accommodating everyone's food preferences/restrictions, and minimizes clean up and prep. Just put bread, wraps, meats, cheeses, veggies, condiments, fruit, chips and cookies out on the table. No one can complain. Prep time is the same for 5 people as 35.
Extra emphasis on hand washing since everyone is touching the stuff with grubby river finger.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Agree with almortal, wash hands and put forks in strategic places so folks don't use their fingers. A wide variety of condiments goes a long way towards folks feeling like they have lots of choices. Check for peanut allergies (peanut butter, etc.)

And to keep the "buzzards" away from the prep table, put out hard candies, dried or fresh fruit or similar munchies to snack on before lunch is ready.

Reactions: knute51

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree and that is how I like to do it. Trip leader gave each group a bk, lunch, dinner for this trip so...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree Sammies are easy. Wasn't sure about wanting to pack a mustard, mayo, ....for one meal. Maybe with that many people though it would all get used up.

·
Super Moderator
4,173 Posts
I've always been a big fan of communal meals, lunch included. That way, you can coordinate to avoid conflicts (or the same thing) for lunch and dinner, lighten the overall load on the group by including it in the meal plan (instead of everyone planning all their own lunches, bringing all their own condiments, etc.). And it's just more fun to be with everyone else having lunch. ...except for that one grumpy guy that somehow got invited and sits off alone on his boat scowling at everyone else while eating his PB&J.

Also, I've concluded that wraps are far better than sandwiches for minimizing microtrash.

-AH

Reactions: knute51

·
Registered
19 Posts
Chicken Caesar salad wraps. Bagged Caesar salad mix from store, add canned chicken. Slice up some red onion to throw in there as well. I usually take chicken out of the can and put in zip lock bags at home so you're not dealing with so many cans on the river. You can even pre mix before leaving camp in the morning so all you have to do is serve at lunch.

·
Registered
185 Posts
coordinating for 22 for lunch. Screw that make everyone mess with their own lunch. Everyone gets hungry and different times for lunch.

·
Super Moderator
2,912 Posts
To all you zipper headed illiterate monkeys out there....OP asked for ideas not "do you think group lunch for 22 is a good idea" or " my trip leader asked me to do lunch for 22, should I tell him to pound sand".

I am not a big lunch guy to begin with but the taco salad lunch is pretty awesome. Does require paper bowls and a set of forks. But it's good. If you are doing the sammies, be aware that us glutarded people can't eat regular bread. And GF bread pretty much sucks balls. Cheese meat rollups work though.

And who doesn't put out a handwash when you eat? Mandatory if handling food.

Another easy way to do sammies is to have them made in the morning after breakfast. A bit more packaging with plastic bags, but it sure is easy.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Wraps, Pringles, cookies, assorted fruits and vegetables. Bagels with salmon, cream cheese, same sides. Asian chicken wraps. TSL, taco salad lunch. Taco meat, chips salsa cheese sour cream all go into a garbage bag and shake, scoop out what you want. Group version of walking tacos if you've ever had those. Downside is some bowls and forks to wash later. We keep a dedicated lunch rocket box that gets loaded everyday for lunch supplies.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wraps are great. The last trip I did one of the ladies on the trip (a wise seasoned river goddess) taught me/us that making lunches in the morning, after breakfast and when the kitchen is still set up is the way to go. Put out everything for lunch that day and have everyone make their lunch for the day, deciding what they wanted by the fixings that were put out. This being the last meal on their 3 meal rotation (dinner/breakfast/lunch). People can eat when they are hungry, or when a lunch stop is made. No pulling all the food out of coolers in the heat of the day.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I might be a zippered headed illiterate (cute, carvedog) raven (not monkey), would be my choice! And no one comes to my lunch line without first spending time at the hand wash station...aside suggestion, romaine lettuce wraps can take the place of bread. Good forum!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Get in line

I am a big fan of eating lunch on your own on the river. Our permit holder is a fan of stopping and unpacking a kitchen and making it a big deal. I'm not going to argue or fight as I was invited as 1/22. I do like the idea of possibly making something in the AM and then just pulling it out for lunch. It is a July 7th trip and with the water this year we may have higher than ave flows and maybe have lunch at our next camp which is my 1st choice, second is eating as you float when you are hungry. Appreciate all the ideas. Now to run them by the boss (wife) for approval! Happy floating everyone, even you monkeys! ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I like making a big pasta salad the night before. cook pasta night before. Next day, in the morning add pepperoni, salami, peppers, olives, onions, mozz cheese, capers, dressing. keep in cooler and super refreshing on a hot day.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts