Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping you might have some advice for me. I am really new at this - started this summer, just picked up a CR 80, etc. I have been in the pool, on flat water a few times, & had lessons. I can wet exit & T exit. 90% up on rolls. The question: I am camping on the Ark at Labor Day. I was told that Big Bend near Salida was a very good spot for a beginner. Any opinions? This will be my first on the river. Any spot that might be better for me?
Thanks!
Kelly

·
Registered
453 Posts
Big Ben is great for beginners. There is a dam with a boat chute on the left. You can easily portage if you want. Just make sure if you run it you take the chute ON THE LEFT! It's hard to miss because there are signs everywhere. You'll have plenty of time to get into the huge eddy on river left and take a look at it. If you are concerned, you can probably find someone who knows it to take you down. Nothing else in there of concern. Takeout is pretty easy to identify because it ends at the play park.

Kim

·
Registered
133 Posts
if you wish you can also park/put in across the road from stone bridge (free) and take out under the 291 bridge also free...and make the float a little longer. flows= low

1 - 3 of 3 Posts