Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy stretch somwhere in there That I might take Riley?

I know there are a few more drops right below pine valley open space that he wouldn't want, but what about below those? (I've never done Foxton) so I don't really know where those drops start to kick in.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hi Dave,

If they back Deckers down, you might look at the stretch below the Foxton normal takeout to the confluence? Not really sure whats in there, but I understand it is easier? You can road scout it for the most part. We might float it this weekend for the heck of it after the normal Foxton run.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Dave - Back during some of the wildfires when PVR was closed, we took out at that Trout River restaurant a few times. There are actually a couple of chunky rapids in that short section, as I recall. Not sure I'd recommend heading down there with Riley, just because of the private property & scouting. Just a FYI.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Dave, I drove from pine to foxton the other day. The river goes through a very mellow scenic valley from pine to buffalo creek. Its mostly meandering class I/II. There were a few rocky ledges (manmade) that should be easy to portage if needed. You could probably find a spot to put in at pine, or maybe float down from pine valley ranch. Its definitely mellow below pine, not sure what's between pine valley ranch and pine though. Private property could be an issue. For most of the run through the valley the river is visible from the road, but there are farmers fields between the road and river. The river comes back close to the road before it goes into some class III just before buffalo creek. Its mostly visible from the road so you could likely road scout the entire thing and figure out best put in and takeout from the road.

Google earth shows the valley nicely for a couch scout. After buffalo creek, the river gets into II/III for a ways before the traditional foxton put in, but its likely more than you are looking for with Riley.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dave, If you guys are going to be around on Sunday, the wife and i plan to take our 9yr old down something over there. The bottom couple miles of the Foxton run to the Waterton takeout is an option depending on the flow (I've done it several times and there isn't that much in there other than a drop or two that can be walked if needed). Although, it is pretty shollow in areas and plenty of rocks to dodge. Chutes is the back up plan at this point. Let us know if it fits into your weekend plans!

David
303-263-2243

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Real mellow running from just below the Foxton Boulder Garden for a couple of miles.

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
going to look at the stuff below the boulder garden, and continue over to deckers if it doesn't feel right.

Looking for a later group for bailey. Probably make it up to the PV take out early afternoonish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts