Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would say from my recollection there are a number of class 3's, just spaced farther apart than pumphouse. Rodeo rapid/hole can flip a raft pretty easily.... well.... at least it could after a couple of beers 15 years ago....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hrmmmm... I see Burns Rodeo Hole in Banks and Eckardt's book rated as "advanced playboat" ... not sure what that means. Seems odd that's there's so little info on this 30 miles of Colorado River, I guess that's why I'm asking.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Rodeo is the only thing to worry about and it can flip a raft if your not careful. Just skirt it, it's not that bad. The remainder of the trip is mostly flat. Great fishing, lot's of private land, not very many public campsites.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There are other rapids between S.B. and Dotsero. Below S.B. there are several rapids w/ wave trains. Windy Point Rapid being the largest II+ (really nice camp) Alkali Drop is a mile or so below Catamount (good camp), don't be surprised when you see a horizon line. Landslide aka Burn's Rodeo Hole has some powerful waves and many rocks III+. I have seen a drift boat pinned on the bridge @ Pinball Rapid II+. Twin Bridges & Horse Creek can grow larger w/ high water. Other nice camps include Jacks Flat in the Bull Gulch WSA, or Lyonns Gulch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rodeo can be walked, the River Rd is on the right side of the river. Eagle County and BLM are begining work to improve access and posssibly camping on this section of the Upper C. There is some info in todays Vail Daily. This section is a nice float, nothing too difficult if you are paying attention and many fewer people than the Pump to State Bridge sections.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Burns Rodeo Hole can be easily walked. You will have plenty of notice. There is a long flat section before it. It is a big pool drop though so unless the kids are really young you should go ahead and run it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took my never-been-on-a-river neighbor and his dog from State Bridge to Catamount yesterday. 16 miles, took 4 hours in a strong headwind. Nice fun class II+ wave trains first 5 miles, class II- second 5 miles, class I last 5 miles. I don't think his dog really enjoyed it that much, but she stayed in the boat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts