Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody paddle in Yosemite this past year now that they've opened sections to boating? I couldn't find anything on the Yosemite site and AW's info appears to be only the year old announcement of their/our success in gaining access. I am interested in the class 3/4 section. Permitting process etc. Also, any feedback on great campsites and possibly one night in a room in the park. Thx.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have any concrete beta. A friend of mine posted this pic (published in Outside magazine!) on fb the other day though, so it can't be that difficult of a section to run :roll:

Seriously though, hopefully the Merced doesn't end up closed again due to overworked Yosemite rescue crews.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeeze! "Rent a boat and head to the class 4". Sounds like I better make this spring's trip happen before we get a rerun of the Virgin Narrows.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just not ready Yet

We tried to do it in June, but the park was not ready to open up the new stretch yet. They needed to deal with parking and pull outs and other issues. They were expecting that they would open up the lower parts this coming Spring.

Your best bet is to e-mail the park. We have been surprised by the quick response from various parks to e-mails when a call or mail does not seem to work too well.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We tried to do it in June, but the park was not ready to open up the new stretch yet. They needed to deal with parking and pull outs and other issues. They were expecting that they would open up the lower parts this coming Spring.

Your best bet is to e-mail the park. We have been surprised by the quick response from various parks to e-mails when a call or mail does not seem to work too well.
Thanks!

·
Registered
486 Posts
The local AW reps had some info on this earlier in the summer which got posted on the cfs (kalifornia floaters society) list serve. I may be able to retrieve some of the emails. If I can find them I'll post them here, or send you a pm. If I recall the float thru the valley is pretty tame (class 1ish), but the real action starts below El Cap meadows down to el portal. From el portal down to briceburg there is a nice run class 3ish for rafts and kayaks and from there down to the reservoir some more action. Not sure if the Tuolumne section(s) are open yet, but that's the stout kayak section.
Regards

·
Registered
461 Posts
Phil, this is on my radar for this spring. We were there last summer but with the drought the Merced was very low. I'm hoping for a renewed snowpack in CA this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try dreamflows.com and scroll down to Merced. The California kayaking club is Gold Country Paddlers, GCP. There may not me much about in the park paddling because there hasn't been a full season yet. I think the Rangers might tell you where to put in and takeout. There are sections going out of the park that look Un-runnable.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
White R. BC
323 Posts
Alright, a southern sierra trip. Have done it a couple ways. Used to have early spring vacations and started boating heading dn there thru Flag (to camp) and then to the Kern. There is a play run in town and a lot runs above. Problem is that the water is siphoned off for power. There is a 3 run above town below the powerhouse and a 3-4 run above the intake. Runs below the res also. So u need a fair amt of runoff to do the other runs. And of course, there is lots and lots of gnar.

Then headed around to the Kaweah then Kings, Tule looked like it needed stealth so couldn't swing that w bike shuttles. Then you are up to the Merced! Awesome place.

Alternatively, have gotten there from the north where you can combine it w/ the Yuba, American etc. A later in the year trip.

N Cal is forecast to get 5" of precip w/ this next storm, hope some of it gets south!

·
White R. BC
323 Posts
Oh yea, you asked abt the Merced in the park! Tried to avoid the pk after going in once. My impression was class 1 in the valley then 6. Out of the park there are several beautiful 3-4 runs and a Big rapid way below. We found the pk v zooy. A guy in the campground was trying to split firewood by pounding a tire iron with a claw hammer. Hard to find parking. I am sure there is a way to get on a trail and out distance the mob, we just went exploring outside.

Found paradise in the BLM downstream of the hwy. More campgrounds then campers on weekdays, yes I mean you get a whole campground to yourself. On the River. And a trail on the old rd dn past the end of the newer rd for mtb/ hiking to the big rapid. And bluebonnets and Cal poppies and lush forest. (watch the poison oak). Bring your solar shower.

When are you going, Phil? I80 may be the only way thru the sierras if it is stormy. Holbek & Stanley is the Bible and covers more rivers but Cassady & Calhoun is more detailed. Get 'em both.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When are you going, Phil? I80 may be the only way thru the sierras if it is stormy. Holbek & Stanley is the Bible and covers more rivers but Cassady & Calhoun is more detailed. Get 'em both.
I don't know yet. I've never been to Yosemite, or Cali for that matter. Doing winter home work and fantasy right now. I have multiple friends in and near Reno so I'll probably come in from there. Depending on snowpack, I'm inclined to catch it on the backside of peak when its warmer and I'll be able to paddle more stuff. I'm not looking to scare myself on unfamiliar high water runs. Also depends on how lucky I get on some permits. Thanks for the info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts