Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... drove passed it on sat. and it was cranking......anybody know what's up?....also, the smith fork of the gunnison was cranking.....raining tons....i know it is manky......but somebody was asking....my .0002 cents

·
Registered
808 Posts
terror, leroux, hubbard--fast mank. tom chamberlin is the guy with beta on those. milo--you would love the lower rockwood box. it has been getting done recently at these lower flows. was that you on that cold day last week at the gunny playpark in the school van? that was me in the green disco--steven

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
..... i suppose that was myself and the punks....if tommy h. says you gotta go when it's cold......we will! the punks like the LVM vid's.....lower rockwood box?...i need to get over to durango with my crew....leave the highschool punks behind....green disco? trying to remember....brain freeze i guess!...you live around here?...i figured those creeks would be manky because of the rock type in the area....found a dead 25 lbs. lake trout at the playholes yesterday...friggen monster!...

·
Registered
114 Posts
The creeks coming off of the South side of Grand Mesa are beginning to crank, but have been up and down due to alternating hot and cold weather. Hubbard is fun when it's cranking and only has one death rapid to watch out for. Terror is one long death rapid when it's high and I wouldn't recommend it. It has lots of barbed wire, wood and pin-fest rapids and very few if any eddies.

Leroux is the creek to hit. When we first did it we were amazed at how little wood was in it, and it was a good thing too. When it's high the good section is non-stop, eddyless, class IV and V for about 4 miles. There used to be only three logs to worry about. That all changed a few years ago when an upstream dam broke and flooded a side channel. That dumped a whole bunch of wood into the run. Last time we checked it out it was totally infested with wood. I haven't seen it this year, but I am hoping that when the mesa really warms up the wood will get blown out by the massive flood that is predicted to hit there soon.

Those creeks are probably all running now, but I think it might be smart to let them flood a bit before we jump on them?

It is supposed to cool off again this weekend which may shut them down again. There is a ton of snow on Grand Mesa waiting to go. We have some time.

Be sure to be stealthy when doing these runs, specially Leroux. Lots of private property and access issues.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...i'm pickin' up what you're throwin' down....nice to get it "from the horse's mouth"... thanks Tom C.........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts