Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the rundown - planning a 4th of July trip down south, looking at Upper Rio Grande, Mesa Canyon on the San Juan, and possibly the Conejos?
As of right now we have a 14' Avon oar frame w/ 2 paddlers, 5 kayaks, and 1 or 2 duckies.
I am looking for beta from anyone who has been in these areas lately...access issues?...wood status?...float-ability for a raft at these flows?...free camping?...also anyone interested is more than welcome...happy 4th of july! Thanks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Interested

Ok, here's the rundown - planning a 4th of July trip down south, looking at Upper Rio Grande, Mesa Canyon on the San Juan, and possibly the Conejos?
As of right now we have a 14' Avon oar frame w/ 2 paddlers, 5 kayaks, and 1 or 2 duckies.
I am looking for beta from anyone who has been in these areas lately...access issues?...wood status?...float-ability for a raft at these flows?...free camping?...also anyone interested is more than welcome...happy 4th of july! Thanks.

Hey, I might be interested to join you all.

Sorry, I got no beta to offer ya though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’ve done a lot of that, not much this year yet. Starting at the top: Upper Rio Grande from 30 Mile or River Hill to that bridge not too far from the highway. (That bridge location is described pretty well in both new and old testaments.) One of the best runs out there. Wilderness, saw a moose, paddled with someone that almost hit a moose (OTR!). Kind of short but great spot. Rio Grande from that bridge take out down is good stuff, mostly Class 2 with some holes to avoid. Lots of put ins and take outs that don’t get a lot of buzz but its pretty good all the way down to the Coller SWA take out. Conejos: I’ve scouted but never ran the four miles or so below the Platoro reservoir down as the rapid across from the pinnacles is pretty tight. Kind of a creeky feel in there. I’ve done sections below that but the ranch land at the bottom of CR250 has wires and junk. One year I put in at an RV camp at the junction of CR250 and Hwy 17 and took out at Mogote campground. The books call it miles of family water, but at 1200 CFS, running alone and having never done it, I was on my toes the 2nd half of that run and liked it. Planning on being up that way Thursday to Sunday this week. If you get bored you can take the 4 wheel drive road up past the Rio Grande Reservoir over Stony Pass and down into Silverton. Or drive up to Lake City and do Lake Fork Box.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input SB, how about float-ability for a raft on the upper RG at the current flow of 450?
Sounds like the Conejos is out for this trip, but still looking for info on being able to float a 14' raft on the Mesa Canyon of the Upper San Juan at 650?
I have the put in and take out info from WWSR, but would still like to hear any first-hand reports from these trips this season...

Mesa Sat. and Upper R.G. Sun. for anyone interested...

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For reference, the run was clean, there were a couple of solid III's, about 3-4 miles of III- boogy water, wilderness all around, and some (if not the best) mountain-river scenery I have ever had the privilage of boating.
For those of you who bailed out at the last minute because you thought 380 was too low to run...you missed out.
Canyon entrance:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts