Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have good gouge for a good ducky line for the Buena Vista Boat Chute at current levels (1600-1700 ish). Is the hole at the bottom of the left tongue an easy IK flipper? Thanks!

·
Registered
770 Posts
I ran the right channel in my kayak this weekend, its a highway and you just have to paddle hard to the left once your in the rapid to avoid a hole at the bottom, overall a very easy line

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to clarify...that line is on the side on the river where the portage trail is located? Thanks again.

·
Registered
172 Posts
river left of center was the line for a raft 10 years ago. at most levels a little rooster tail popped up at the top of the ramp. put that close to your left tube, tee up at the bottom and hold on was the beta. not sure if it's changed since then.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
It will flip you if you go into it sideways or without much speed. There is a small eddy on the right to collect your stuff if it flips you...stay in the boat chute, paddle in with some speed, brace at the bottom, and you should be good to go.

·
Super Moderator
3,859 Posts
I've heard that there's always been a scout/portage easement on the dam. Unfortunately the signs at the BV ballfields have been incorrect for a long time and now really need to be updated.

·
Registered
668 Posts
river left of center was the line for a raft 10 years ago. at most levels a little rooster tail popped up at the top of the ramp. put that close to your left tube, tee up at the bottom and hold on was the beta. not sure if it's changed since then.
I think that still holds true! LOL

Not sure about doing it in a duckie, but the left is a hell of a lot of fun in a raft! We ran it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, but it was twice as high then. It's pretty huge and intimidating the first time you come up on it, but man, what a ride! The right side chute didn't look all that great to me at 3200, maybe at lower flows it's better? Again, I'm not a kayaker, but if you're pretty good, just hit the tongue left center as you drop in, straight and fast, and brace yourself. If you do it right, you'll land right on the tongue at the bottom, nice and flat and straight, then paddle out! For all I know, it may even be easier than a raft because that tongue is't very wide (maybe half the width of my raft when I did it?).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts