Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a Pyranha Varun and am very comfortable river running in it up to class 3+ and I want to become better at surfing. As of now I occasionally surf small catch on the fly waves. What is the best type of wave to learn how to surf really well and learn some easier tricks? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Both the Salida and BV parks have excellent waves to learn on. They are a bit shallow right now, but 300+ cfs above Buena Vista is enough for all the features at both parks to be viable and fun.

Generally speaking you will probably want to start on a glassy wave with a fairly deep trough, look for good eddy service and no major obstacles immediately downstream.

Sorry. Just noticed your in California.... I can't direct you to a certain spot with good features, but I think the second part of my comment pertains regardless of where you are.

·
Registered
20 Posts
what about for river surfing? ive heard salida has a good wave but trying to find more places on the front range preferably not on the south platte.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ehowkayak. Barking Dog on the south fork. awesome park and play. a perfect wave to learn on. you can park at camp lotus they charge a couple dollars, float down toit and then paddle back to your car when you are done playing. Contact the river store or cali canoe and kayak for more info. I believe there are flows every saturday right now.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Another great winter option is to learn to cartwheel and generally just move around a lot in your boat at pool sessions.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi there, I have a Pyranha Varun and am very comfortable river running in it up to class 3+ and I want to become better at surfing. As of now I occasionally surf small catch on the fly waves. What is the best type of wave to learn how to surf really well and learn some easier tricks? Thanks!
Go to the South Fork of the American River and play on Barking Dog. You can even park and play by going to Camp Lotus. To get back to Camp Lotus once at Barking Dog, you can walk through the little island up stream, and paddle up the shore line until you can ferry across.

Later, as you get better, you can go to Chili Bar, and work 1st Threat. While it's technically a hole, it behaves like a wave except on the river left side of it. There is a lot more power on 1st threat, and it is more retentive. There is no easy access there, you have to run from Chili bar to there, and paddle down to Coloma to leave.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ehowkayak. Barking Dog on the south fork. awesome park and play. a perfect wave to learn on. you can park at camp lotus they charge a couple dollars, float down toit and then paddle back to your car when you are done playing. Contact the river store or cali canoe and kayak for more info. I believe there are flows every saturday right now.
Thanks for the input. I will be practicing there tomorrow!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go to the South Fork of the American River and play on Barking Dog. You can even park and play by going to Camp Lotus. To get back to Camp Lotus once at Barking Dog, you can walk through the little island up stream, and paddle up the shore line until you can ferry across.

Later, as you get better, you can go to Chili Bar, and work 1st Threat. While it's technically a hole, it behaves like a wave except on the river left side of it. There is a lot more power on 1st threat, and it is more retentive. There is no easy access there, you have to run from Chili bar to there, and paddle down to Coloma to leave.
Ran Chili Bar a couple weeks ago and was able to watch a couple guys surfing there. Seems like a great play spot if you now what you're doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts