Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the best places you guys know of to run a safe waterfall over and over all day long to practice boofing. I am a solid class 4+ boater and have lived in Idaho my whole life running big water yet have recently moved to California for school, where most creeks are rivers involve many more large drops. Basically I am looking for places to get really comfortable running drops in Idaho, California, or anywhere in-between.

Thanks so much for the help, EHUKAI

·
Registered
152 Posts
In Cali, there are lots of places, but the two that immediately come to mind are Pauley Creek, which is a tributary of the North Yuba, and South Silver Creek. I think a Class IV+ boater should have fun on both.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know you said CA/ID but try to break away for a week in Mexico (Micos, El Salto, Santa Maria, etc). Hard to beat I would think for waterfalls. Ben Kvanli out of Texas runs cheap trips down there. Christmas break!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Where are you living in cali? There are many different techniques to running waterfalls and each has its spot in different locations. Most of the time you can practice waterfall technique on smaller drops, most of the time body position is the most important aspect of running larger waterfalls and protecting yourself. Practice on runs that you can run drops under 10 feet to practice on drops that most likely hurt you. Most of the California waterfalls are on the harder runs in the state: south branch, big kimshew, dinkey creek, upper cherry, roayl gorge. Go to the PNW if you want to huck waterfalls

·
Registered
269 Posts
There aren't a ton of clean waterfalls in Idaho, but you can find a couple on tributaries to the Snake near Twin Falls. One is Box Canyon Falls on Box Canyon Creek and the other is Reilly Creek Falls on, you guessed it, Reilly Creek. Both are spring fed creeks with constant flow, so no need to worry about water levels. Reilly Creek is a little easier to access for multiple runs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the initial feedback. I'm living in San Luis Obispo so i am a ways away from most of the boating, I think the closest place is The Kern River. I will be back in Idaho this summer yet I guide on the Middlefork so I don't have as much time as I would like to boat. However, I want to plan a big boating trip as soon as I am out of school and want to work on the aspects of boating that I haven't done as much.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The Micos & El Saltos run on the Rio Valles has to be the two easiest water fall runs on the planet, a week there and you'll have 20' dialed. The Cascades are loaded with basalt ledge drop water falls from easy to record setting, I haven't done this run yet but it is on my to-do list for this year is the EF Lewis waterfall run in So. Washington just outside of Portland looks great.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Scott's Drop
Yep, Scott's Drop is definitely a good one to start on. You do have to run the Royal Gorge to get there, but the RG just happens to have several other great learning waterfalls like Heath 1 and 2 and Rattlesnake. You may put on the RG as a Class IV rapid runner, but you'll come out the bottom a certified Huckster.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
personally i think metlako is a great waterfall to start on. go big that way you master the art of falling in half the amount of time.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
mike, I laughed so hard, that was perfect. stop reading, i know you hate fossil.

just in case you have the time, fossil creek in AZ is spring fed and the 20'er goes year round.

feb, march and maybe early april are your best chance at more water.

it takes about 10 minuets to walk back up and run it again. pool drop, you can melt it, boof left and boof right at base flow.

it is not hard to do laps on, and it is only 12 hr drive from obisbo.

·
Registered
231 Posts
EF Lewis is a great one. you could hike laps on the first 20 footer, Sunset falls, and its near the road. The left side was deep and clean at medium-low water; haven't done the other lines, but there are a bunch. Then there is some definite IV+ I wasn't really expecting, then Horseshoe falls at the end of the hard part, is another classic. Its an auto-boof I would try not to land too flat on next time, since it tweaked my back a bit. I was told to lean forward more next time.
They have the NW creek comp on EF Lewis; check out vid of the mass start then mass huck off Sunset. I guess you can get stuck with a bad line at some flows, but this vid makes it seem like anything works :)
2010 Northwest creeking competition - YouTube
Then there is Husum falls on the middle white Salmon, which I've heard has gotten stickier after getting logs stuck in it. Easier when its lower. Sort of a sloper boof, but its roadside and you could easily do laps on it if you wanted.
phlyingfish, is Box Canyon falls really that clean? Looks kinda junky, although there does look like a line in the middle. Not the easiest to get to. Spring-fed is a plus for sure. There is poison ivy along that trail below the Box canyon falls.
I should do Reilly sometime.

·
Registered
986 Posts
mike, I laughed so hard, that was perfect. stop reading, i know you hate fossil.

just in case you have the time, fossil creek in AZ is spring fed and the 20'er goes year round.

feb, march and maybe early april are your best chance at more water.

it takes about 10 minuets to walk back up and run it again. pool drop, you can melt it, boof left and boof right at base flow.

it is not hard to do laps on, and it is only 12 hr drive from obisbo.

This is the dumbest thing I've read on here in awhile. Discount anyone who thinks seal launching 20 feet is good waterfall practice.
For southern cali goods go to Brush creek, dry meadow and nf kaweah for some good waterfalls.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ tom, you are right.

i thought he was looking for a 1st time falls to practice on, after checking some of these other falls recomendations there are better options.

if you catch it at run off with 300cfs over the lip it is sweet though.

there is plenty right there in cali.i do not know where, sorry.

·
Registered
707 Posts
personally i think metlako is a great waterfall to start on. go big that way you master the art of falling in half the amount of time.
Hey Mike have you ran Metlako? I have heard it is a scary, tall, Class IV. Ride off the lip, toss your paddle, and tuck up. Of coarse messing up may mean you are wheel chair bound, but seems like it is just about the most strait up 82 footer on earth. I guy I boat the green with ran it almost solo (His girl friend was watching) with no one to tell him what to do, and stuck it perfect. Also the fact that it was tubed, and tandemed makes it look even more promising.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hey Mike have you ran Metlako? I have heard it is a scary, tall, Class IV. Ride off the lip, toss your paddle, and tuck up. Of coarse messing up may mean you are wheel chair bound, but seems like it is just about the most strait up 82 footer on earth. I guy I boat the green with ran it almost solo (His girl friend was watching) with no one to tell him what to do, and stuck it perfect. Also the fact that it was tubed, and tandemed makes it look even more promising.
what does "no one to tell him what to do" mean? if you need someone to tell you what to do on a drop like that you shouldn't be running it. I have run metlako it is a class 3 rapid with class 5 consequences, if you fuck it up your in a deep ass gorge. I think class 5 rapid with class 3 consequences are more appealing but thats just me.

·
Registered
707 Posts
First I meant to say no one told him what to do, but that does not change the meaning of what I meant. I do agree with you if you need to be told what to do on it you have no business running it, but you must say having someone there that has ran it before you saying "this is what I have seen done, and it worked out great!) is pretty nice to have. What is a good first 60 footer or 80 footer

1 - 20 of 41 Posts