Mountain Buzz banner

Best waist throw bag?

2144 Views 30 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  nervouswater
I’m considering adding a waist throw bag to my river gear this year. Any thoughts on the best one on the market? Any cons to carrying one? For reference, I always have at least one attached to the raft, but I like the idea of still having a bag in the event I’m scouting or get ejected from the boat.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
I always carry a waist throw bag as well as at least two more in the boat. I don't think it matters too much what throw bag you carry as long as you are able to use it quickly. I use a 1/4 inch spectra line because I can have 70 ft in a small bag and it has a 2200 lb breaking strength so with a couple of small pulleys, prusiks and some webbing, I can set up a Z rig from what I have on me without having to go back to get my big kit if time is a concern and I could reach the issue with the 70 ft. My setup is probably overkill. Carrying any throw bag on a waist belt that you can access quickly is the most likely required scenario.
Happy New Year

· Registered
893 Posts

· Registered
1,566 Posts
The downside of the Salamander waist belt throw bag is that the waist belt is sewn to the throw bag. It's nice to have a bag that is separate from the waist belt so you don't have to throw the waist belt.
I’m glad you mentioned that. It’s not immediately obvious that the belt is sewn on, and that’s a deal breaker for me.

· Registered
1,227 Posts
The downside of the Salamander waist belt throw bag is that the waist belt is sewn to the throw bag. It's nice to have a bag that is separate from the waist belt so you don't have to throw the waist belt.
Zach, is your objection to throwing the belt only because it makes the bag a little harder to throw? Or do you think that the belt is hazardous?

· Registered
115 Posts
I’m glad you mentioned that. It’s not immediately obvious that the belt is sewn on, and that’s a deal breaker for me.
This version from Salamander might interest you as the bag is separate from the waist strap.

· Registered
1,227 Posts
I like this one from Astral. Fits in a pocket in my PFD.

· Registered
893 Posts

· Registered
1,566 Posts
This version from Salamander might interest you as the bag is separate from the waist strap.
Sleeve Font Auto part Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory

That looks great! I like the compact throw bag, with a separate belt /container. Thanks, that’s what I was looking for.

· Beginner
3,204 Posts
I like this one from Astral. Fits in a pocket in my PFD.
This is what I use. It's a little extra bulk, but also a little extra flotation. I'm quick with it too, because it's right there. I carry a longer rope too, though, because it is pretty short.

· Registered
4,735 Posts
We just bought a replacement nrs waist bag. This new model is bulkier, more like a barrel than a tube. I like the older skinnier style, may have to just replace the rope in the old ones.

· Registered
1,227 Posts
This is what I use. It's a little extra bulk, but also a little extra flotation. I'm quick with it too, because it's right there. I carry a longer rope too, though, because it is pretty short.
I never considered it as extra floatation, but I suppose it is. I always carried a bigger diameter, longer rope in my boat too unless park and playing.

· Registered
110 Posts
This one is pretty sweet, good materials and throw bag is separate.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts