Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a two person fishing frame. Been looking at the DOWN RIVER SAN JUAN LD 3-BAY RAFT FISHING FRAME, but with out third bay. Anyone have any suggestions? Looking to spend under 1,500

·
Banned
258 Posts
You already know who makes the best frame, just a matter of what you are going to settle for if you don't get the best,ha!

·
Banned
258 Posts
Best if you want to get it this century.....

DRE fishing rigs are nice. They can do 2 bays, whatever you want. Im sure you'll be happy.
Hey you can get a frame in a week or two if nothing is going on, that should also tell buyers something ;) list only has about 30 peeps on it now so things are running smooth. I think I may sponsor this place and really throw down

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's a great starter frame and how I started out. If getting rid of the hoop and seat is what you mean by getting rid of the 3rd bay, then that's a good call for a 2 person set-up. You could also save some money by eliminating the poly deck up front and putting your cooler up there for your passenger to sit on.

If you think you might expand to casting decks or an anchor system or whatever later, let them know and I think they will put the fittings on the frame and save you some retro fitting money later.

Good luck!

·
Registered
446 Posts
You already know who makes the best frame, just a matter of what you are going to settle for if you don't get the best,ha!
He is looking for the best frame that exists or will exist from a custom builder, not some imaginary one that some guy on a forum talks about all the time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
J,

I've emailed them and they quoted me without the hoop for the set up. He mentioned if I didn't get the hoop that he could mount the swivel on the front. If I get the RMR Storm I'm going to have to utilize every possible inch of space. I'm just debating on whether I should get the swivel mounted on the poly deck or doing away with the poly and chair and using a cooler. what purpose does the poly deck serve?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw a NRS long horn frame on a RMR storm with a casting platform and standing bar. Not a bad set up, especially when the frame, standing platform and standing bar come out to 700. The DRe frame was quoted around 1,400 with out the back hoop.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I saw a NRS long horn frame on a RMR storm with a casting platform and standing bar. Not a bad set up, especially when the frame, standing platform and standing bar come out to 700. The DRe frame was quoted around 1,400 with out the back hoop.
Your about to get replies of how bad NRS frames are. None of what he says is true, He is just trying to advertise his own stuff in part by putting others down. I have an NRS frame that is almost 20 years old and it is fantastic. DRE frames are good on rafts but I wouldn't use them on a cat. Custom welded are the lightest and the best so Go custom welded if you can afford it and you wont ever need to make any adjustments and you never need to break it down. That is my two cents.

·
Registered
178 Posts
J,

I've emailed them and they quoted me without the hoop for the set up. He mentioned if I didn't get the hoop that he could mount the swivel on the front. If I get the RMR Storm I'm going to have to utilize every possible inch of space. I'm just debating on whether I should get the swivel mounted on the poly deck or doing away with the poly and chair and using a cooler. what purpose does the poly deck serve?
The poly acts as a hatch cover so you can stow gear underneath (with a drop bag), and the base for a front seat. Nice for sure, but not a must have. My set up did not have poly or a front seat to start out. But, last year I made a front hatch out of plywood and mounted a seat to it. Also, made side decks. Cheaper than poly and just as functional, but I'm gonna have to re-coat with spar varnish before the spring which I wouldn't have to do with poly. You can find endless threads on wood decking pros and cons on here. HTH.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I like simple lightweight and functional frames I've boated with 'Spider' (a fellow Mt. Buzz member) with this exact boat (hope he does not mind me posting this).

His frames are really cool and equally good at whitewater/fishing.

https://missoula.craigslist.org/boa/5414705864.html

https://missoula.craigslist.org/boa/5414737361.html

I realize your not local to these boats but hope the pics help.
I'll agree with this. Spiders frames are simple and functional and his do seem to specialize in fishing. There are many others as well but give him a call or PM him here on the BUZZ.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts