Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to hit up Big Timber in Montana while out west.
Can anyone give me some feedback on the best time to get there for the creeks. I am looking for good levels (not screaming out of control, but good padding) around the first week of June. Or should I come a bit earlier? The earliest would be May 26. I have about one or two weeks so I am looking to make the best of it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
John

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Lime / Mineral

The drainages for those two are really high and usually come down to a better first-time level by mid-june, but this has been an unusual year. Not a whole lot of snow in March, so it may run earlier. I don't live sdown in that area anymore, so one of the Durangotans will have to chime in. The rough gauge is 2000 or so in town, but that could all be coming down Hermosa. Usually you're better off waiting until after peak flows, because the snowmelt is coming from higher up in the drainages. I would wait as late as you can (early June vs. late May) and call Four Corners to get the scoop. As fo OB, I think that really depends on how the weather afffects the runoff. Could be high throughout that time, or on the way up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2 cents on Oh-Be-J flow

Oh-Be-J almost ran during this last warm spell but you would have had to snowshoe in. A select few seem to do this once and a while. I'll try to keep everyone posted on when oh-be starts to run. With our snowpack here in C.B. I think it could run at a low level as soon as the first week in May, but this is very weather dependant. The last few years this has been the case. In the begging of June flows start to increase. This of course is weather dependant. It is very hard to say. You could call Rock 'N' Roll Sports in Gunnison (970) 641-9150 and they might be abel to give you a heads up on what the weather has been like.

-PJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts