·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
40 Posts
"Week-long" is the key - 1 person or 2?

There aren't a whole lot of tandem inflatable kayaks that can carry enough gear for 2 (I am assuming you are taking another along with you) plus 2 passengers, but they do exist - but they are hard to find under $1K. You need to decide what sort of conditions you will be using this boat in: white water, flat water, or mix of both.

The AIRE Super Lynx will easily do what you are asking, but the price tag is higher than $1000. These can handle some milder white water, as well as function quite well on flat water. Be aware that you can get one 20% off an '09 Super Lynx right now as they are having end of year clearance to get rid of the remaining stock of '09's and make room for the '10's. $1199 is a smokin deal on an new SL, they are typically $1500. Check them out at The Boat People:
Used Whitewater Boats And Accessories

AIRE also makes an Inflatable Canoe (the Traveler) which will hold even more gear than the Super Lynx, but is not as streamlined.

SOAR makes a nice inflatable canoe as well that can hold a ton of gear as is very well-respected, but they are pricey as well.

I would tell you to watch for a good used AIRE product, or bite the bullet and get a discounted Super Lynx right now - they hold their value very well.

·
Shapp
1,833 Posts
tandem and gear for a week? go Soar 16, you'll need another $650 though, you won't be sorry. I had a chance to paddle one last year and they are nice and hold a ton of gear.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions everybody. I have until spring to figure this out!
I second the recommendation of the Aire Super Lynx. I have a friend who uses it for self support trips a lot. We saw 2 groups of self support duckie folks on the Middle Fork Salmon in September. They were in Aire Lynx and Aire Tributary duckies. The Tributary is Aire's lower priced line. I don't have any direct experience with them as far as durability.
KJ

·
Shapp
1,833 Posts
I think I missundertood, do you want a tandem for 2 people plus gear or you only plus gear. If you only, go with the Aire. if 2 people, SOAR 16

1 - 6 of 6 Posts