Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used light blue blue super puma from a local outfitter for $1000 and its still in very good shape.

It still has black painted lettering from the outfitter (about 12 inches long by 8 inches tall) and I'd like to just paint a light blue oval over the top of the black lettering. I have some light blue spray paint that matches not perfectly but pretty well (Brand: Rust-oleum Painters Touch 2x) that will look much better than the black lettering. My question is, will this standard spray paint be ok to use on my boat? What do outfitters use to paint their boats with?

I don't need it to look perfect, I just want it to not damage the PVC and to not peel like crazy or something like that. The other option is to remove the black paint, but i've heard mixed things about stripping paint off rafts, and also, I'm lazy right now.

·
Super Moderator
3,885 Posts
Hold off on using any kind of paint on the boat until you hear from one of our resident raft repair experts. Usually there are special paints for rafts - I've never heard of anyone using a rattlecan on their raft. Even if the worst case scenario of solvents the paint eating up the rubber isn't a concern, it may all flake off or just look like crap in a few months due to the flexibility of the material.

I seriously can't believe outfitters sell boats with their names still on them and expect the buyers to deal do the removal or paint over them. On lots of rivers you'll get counted against the outfitter's operating permit limit just by running a boat with their name on it.

Good luck with it,

-AH

·
Registered
193 Posts
What I've used to paint on several Aire rafts is "vinyl paint". You can get it at auto parts stores or most anywhere you can get other paints. I've only used the spray can version, but they may offer it in brush paint too. And prep the area by wiping it with MEK (with a light touch).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts