Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Whatever survives the trip is best. Soft and flexible. I've got a solar roll. Jury is still out

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
For solar really impressed with these, did October trip in ditch without much direct sun and they worked well, we had multiple people with various products from them:

Portable Solar Battery Charger | Portable Solar Panels | Off-Grid Solar Generators | Goal Zero - Extreme Portable Power

Only other one I have seen is a Brunton that rolls up and is really long to lay out of the gear piles seemed to work, but pretty pricey:

Flexible Solar Panels: Brunton - Lanterns, Solar Power, Headlamps, Binoculars, Scopes, Compasses

·
Registered
787 Posts
Might as well add

What's the best rafting GPS?
Thanks
I won't say it is the best, but I use the Garmin Oregon 550. I like the touch screen and having an easy to read map. it has survived over 100 river days including 18 down the Grand Canyon and still keeps on kicking. It is battery heavy though, I go through two AA a day. I try and use rechargeable, but they drain a little faster.

I've used the eTrex as well and it works equally as fine, but I like the touch screen more than the joystick.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the goal zero nomad 7and love it. I like being able to take the batteries out for other things, such as GPS, head lamps, camera and still being able to charge an ipod. You can chain them together if you need more power, and use different size batteries as well. Check it out on line.

·
Registered
787 Posts
20 years on the water and still have no clue why someone would need a GPS.

The takeout is...... Downstream
I picked one up after my first trip down the North Fork of the John Day. The most recent mile by mile guide was from the early 90s. We were floating along on the first day and passed an A frame house. On the map the A frame house was at mile 10 and we were planning to go to mile 12-13, so we figured we were flying down the river and stopped at the next good camp. Little did we know that a second A frame house had been constructed in the past 20 years around mile 6. We had to make up with a really long day to get back on track... Most of the time it is just a fun toy to figure out speed on the river, but on occasion it is nice for settling were we are on the river and if we should take the current camp or move on to the next camp and it works a little better than the counting creek method of navigation.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
We run goal zero's in our group. Havent daisy chained yet but nice to have stuff charging all the time and be compatible with each other.Seems to work good , I'm adding battery power this year so well see how well it keeps it charged.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
What about a powergen battery pack.. you can get one that's 12000 mah for $60... a gopro uses about 1000 for a full charge and a I phone uses about 1400.. so off of one battery pack you could charge your go pro 12 times by the numbers but probably a few less do to wasted power somewhere along the line...might not work if your charging an I pad which I think use 14000 or so.. but would charge it once...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts