Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've used the Yeti soft sided cooler and it's nice but crazy expensive. Polar Bears coolers get good reviews at 1/3 the Yeti cost.

Does anyone have experience opinions on a good cat boat soft cooler option?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
I've been through a number of them over the years. The Gander Mtn posted above looks pretty cool. I now have the Yeti and it is awesome. I also like the Seattle Sports Frost Pack. I have the 12Qt. It does not leak and has survived despite my repeated attempts to destroy it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've heard good things about Polar bears and AO coolers i believe. I was kinda impressed with the Yeti when I finally saw one in real life. I too was surprised with the lack of insulation on the top but heat rises and cold sinks, so maybe?

However I think I've decided to build my own before the next time I need to buy new PVC glue...using 2 older drybags and some thick foiled insulation material I've squirreld away. Just for fun...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a polar bear and am very impressed with how long it held ice. i got the 12 pack size one on special like but 1 get 1 half off

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got a 2 for1 special on the Norchill soft coolers. Had some block ice for 3 days hold pretty good in one on lodore recently.

Sent from my way cooler than yours smart phone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
20 Posts
can vouch for the AO cooler

Awesome cooler, awesome price, Awesome company. cant go wrong. Always pack mine to take to the beach in Mexico on family vac. too.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Product Page | Down River Equipment Company

I just bought the Polar Bear cooler from DRE and I am super impressed. It fits perfect in the captains bay on the side of my feet and it has tons of straps to strap it into the frame. I used it for 10 days in a row on a recent trip and it was one of the best additions to my boat. Its super nice because I don't have to open my big cooler throughout the day for beers. It held ice surprisingly well and is well insulated. I have about 4 other soft coolers that are now collecting dust or in the trash do to straps ripping off or the lack of insulation.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Product Page | Down River Equipment Company

I just bought the Polar Bear cooler from DRE and I am super impressed. It fits perfect in the captains bay on the side of my feet and it has tons of straps to strap it into the frame. I used it for 10 days in a row on a recent trip and it was one of the best additions to my boat. Its super nice because I don't have to open my big cooler throughout the day for beers. It held ice surprisingly well and is well insulated. I have about 4 other soft coolers that are now collecting dust or in the trash do to straps ripping off or the lack of insulation.
Pretty good soft cooler test and review here: The Best Soft Cooler | The Sweethome

·
Registered
458 Posts
Got a Polar Bear 24 as a Groomsman's gift, a few years ago, and now my Seattle Sports cooler just collects dust in the garage.

The new Polar Bear H2O coolers are even better

·
Registered
55 Posts
Has anyone used the Gander Mountain soft cooler? They look nice but was looking for a review. The NRS soft coolers dont hold ice very well imo but are quite a bit cheaper than most of the ones talked about here.

·
Registered
462 Posts
How about the Ice Mule? I saw these up at Copper Mtn last weekend at a promo tent for Outdoor Magazine or something.

They looked really nice and have a decent price point.
SONOFABITCH!

This is the same design I was getting around to making (where I mentioned building my own upthread). I'd never seen a rolltop cooler before this and in my head. And here I thought I maybe building the prototype for my retirement plan! Backpack straps were gonna be an option too. :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
I can't believe how much Yeti charges for theirs. I would be really curious to see how many they sell. Yeti should start making purses and compete with Louis Vitton.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts