Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, with little running across the state, the buzz is a little boring right now. Every once in a while somebody is nice enough to send us a link to a trip report from some other place that is sic and rad and has water. In this day of Facebook, and cooler sizes and raft outfittings, there just isn't that many good topics on here anymo'.

So how about this......let's try to come up with the best runs in CO, in several different categories. Now, I know what yer thinking: ''Didn't they do this in the back of WWSR?''
And you would, of course, be correct. But, that is just the opinion of the authors, and while it is a great addition to the book and it's likely their opinions are shared by many others, they are just two people among many, and perhaps others would put some in different orders, or include/exclude some in others. So if the category comes up and it's already been in WWSR then you can still say you agree/disagree with the book and why.

Ideas....
Best run(s) for blast rock/mank?
Best run(s) for Amtrak mooning?
Best run for disgusting and ridiculous airplane boofs all around?
Best run for destroying your shuttle rig? (In the book, but lets hear some stories here)
Best run to harass mindless tubers?
Best runs to feel like you are deep within the earth?

etc.

What would your ranks be

·
Registered
279 Posts
Best run to harass mindless tubers is Colorado river from grizzly creek to two rivers. Best mellow booze cruise / fishing roaring fork carbondale down. IMO.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Wyoming, Idaho and montucky are my choices. I'll pass on ColoRado except maybe big south
Mike you didn't even name any runs. Were talking about Colorado runs, not other states you like more.

Anyways filter plant on The Poudre at lower flows often has tubers.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Ideas....
Best run(s) for blast rock/mank?
Best run(s) for Amtrak mooning?
Best run for disgusting and ridiculous airplane boofs all around?
Best run for destroying your shuttle rig? (In the book, but lets hear some stories here)
Best run to harass mindless tubers?
Best runs to feel like you are deep within the earth?

etc.

What would your ranks be
Ok, I'm bored so I'll bite.

At least for a III/IV boater this would be my list:

Blast/Mank - Any section of Clear Creek

Mooning - Upper C takes the cake, but lower Gunnison is in the running.

Boofs - Elevenmile

Shuttle Destruction - worst I've experienced is Chukar trail in my Suby.

Tuber Harassment - Salida Playpark

Deep Gorges - Gunny Gorge/ Royal Gorge

·
Registered
795 Posts
Mooning the Amtrak is boring.....you can't judge the responses. My vote for mooning train passengers has to be the Royal Gorge. Hundreds of people on an open deck train car snapping pictures and cheering and hiding children's eyes....and the train is moving maybe 20 mph.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I can't believe no one is taking this thread seriously. The best place to moon amtrak is in Gore. Brown claw and moon

·
Registered
168 Posts
The lower Animas has to be mentioned for a quality mooning experience. A slow coal powered train from the 1800's, and hundreds of unsuspecting tourists a day. It is a great place to harass some tubers also...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I need to hit the animas, haven't yet. I still need to hit up a lot of class III river's in Colorado but I an all about safety and want another boat to be safe on new rivers. The gunny gorge is the best place I have been down to be back with nature away from people. Wish I had the money/ safety to guide my raft down.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mooning the Amtrak is boring.....you can't judge the responses. My vote for mooning train passengers has to be the Royal Gorge. Hundreds of people on an open deck train car snapping pictures and cheering and hiding children's eyes....and the train is moving maybe 20 mph.
This brings me back.... while paddling Royal Gorge, I once found a group that took the tram down to the base, so we paddled to shore and took a bunch of photos of them through the fence. They were expecting to get photos of us kayaking, so they were a little surprised when we were taking pics of them instead.

Jeb, if you're still planning on an afternoon Canyon run Saturday, I think I can make it. What time are you gonna run it?

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good ones so far.

How about best place to see god? ie, highest chances to have a complete meltdown to beat down....

Best run to steal off in the woods for a nooner with the lady(or guy) friend?

Run most likely to get stabbed on?

Best run for showing off and making yourself look better than you are? (The "'kiddie park'' effect)¿

Keep em coming

·
Registered
579 Posts
i don't know about stabbed on... but 2 winters ago someone suggested we do the brighton run (if geardog ever tries to tell you that it is february and nothing else is running.... just say no!!!!)

I swear this is the honest truth, about 1/2 way down we hear gun fire... just rednecks partaking in some target practice. unfortuntely they were shooting towards the river.
we hugged the bank as close as we could (for cover), i attempted to wave my paddle so they could see 2 [email protected]$$ kayakers were actually on the river.
the shooting continued... at one point i even heard the creepy scary buzzing sound (that if you've ever had a bullet buzz by you you will never forget).
during a break in the shooting i look over at geardog and in all seriousness say "paddle fast while they reload"

so stabbed on... i'll leave that to someone else, but shot on...BRIGHTON!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts