Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This is all great info! Thanks guys.

I did notice some come with poles and some without. Anyone prefer to use their oars over poles?

·
Registered
394 Posts
This is all great info! Thanks guys.

I did notice some come with poles and some without. Anyone prefer to use their oars over poles?
While I sometimes use oars, I prefer poles for a couple of reasons. One problem I have seen with oars is if you get a blow down (and you will) oars can become a hazard. We have had a couple of people hit in the head with falling oars over the years. Poles can also be adjusted in height more easily if you have an adjustable type. I sometimes use oars on the ends and poles on the corners of the tarp. As others have said most poles are pretty weak. I have had good luck with Kelty heavy duty aluminum ones but the Moss steel ones that came with my outfitter wing are over 25 years old and still going strong. Too bad both the tarp and poles are no longer made. Adjustable Pole

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Luxe poles still seem a bit short (longest is 7.6'), whereas you can get some nice 8' aluminum ones from REI...which is the same height as my heavy Moss steely ones. REI Co-op Adjustable Tarp Pole - Single | REI Co-op

Oars work decently, though as mentioned they can be heavy and there's a bonk risk if they fall over. But anything over 9' gets a bit high and therefore the shelter catches more wind. On a beach spot though I think oars shine, as blade works pretty well to resist torsion and they can almost acts like a sand stake if buried a bit.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts