Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to work on a river somewhere this summer, Would like to safety or video boat but would raft guide as well. I just wanna be out on the water in a new place this summer...

Any Suggestions/Job openings?

-Chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
709 Posts
I am looking to work on a river somewhere this summer, Would like to safety or video boat but would raft guide as well. I just wanna be out on the water in a new place this summer...

-Chris
[email protected]
Coming out to Colorado? You should come to the Poudre and do some boating.. Good stuff.

Scott

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I think for safety or video boating either the Arkansas, Poudre, or a Summit County/Vail Outfitter that does Gore and such.

Never guided rafting but I know those three rivers are also some of the more commercially rafted probably offering the most work. I am not too familiar with down south though....

·
Registered
260 Posts

-Chris
[email protected]
Send an Email or call Lyle @ Renaissance Adventure guides, I believe they are looking for people for this summer.

Renaissance Adventure Guides

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Chris, Clear Creek is fun, but it's not the most beautiful stretch. It's lovingly known as "the ditch" by more than a few guides...

The Arkansas has lots of opportunities for work. In my experience, AVA is a great company to work for and they run Gore if you're at that level. Timberline and Nova are also both known for having pretty solid work for their guides.

If you're interested on the Poudre, there are not many video boaters or safety kayakers on that river. The spots there are are probably taken. However, it's a blast to guide! There are only 5 companies, and despite all the trash talk, all 5 seem pretty solid. Ask what sections they run though, as not everyone runs the class 4 stuff.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
463 Posts
clear creek is the best? you got to be kidding me...

your best bet for lifestyle, living situation, and the kind of work you're looking for is an outfitter on the ark especially if they run fall trips through gore.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Raft bastards on the ark. do the royal gorge if you have any experience if not big horn sheep canyon is hella fun and with this years water there will be carnage for sure. don't work for raven in canon that place is a shit hole. if you want a lot of trips hook up with the bigger commercial companies like raft masters or echo.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Clear Creek? You have to have a hole in your head! or maybe you just got too much carbon monoxide from all the deisel fumes! The only possible way that Clear Creek is the best place to spend the summer is if you need to be close to the city so your stripper girlfriend can keep you in meth all summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clear Creek? You have to have a hole in your head! or maybe you just got too much carbon monoxide from all the deisel fumes! The only possible way that Clear Creek is the best place to spend the summer is if you need to be close to the city so your stripper girlfriend can keep you in meth all summer.

sounds like you have experience with that:cool:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Why, what did you hear?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Arks fine if you like boating with your closest friends, all 500,000 of them. Lifestyle??? A bunch of dudes in a tent drinkin' Naty Light, to much fun for me. Or the Green Parrot, hotties in there all the time, way better then The Hill in Boulder.

Left the Ark for Clear Creek in 93 and never came close to missing it. It's not all next to I-70. Short shuttles, variety of runs, easy access to the rest of the state, lot's of strippers (they all guide for me part-time). Oh and the Meth, why go to Denver, Clear Creek County Locals make the Best Meth in the West.

Almost forgot the best part, you get paid for 3-4 1/2 day trips a day instead of 1-2.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It's not all next to I-70. .
... true, but you're splitting hairs, all of it is either next to 70 or 6, unless you count the 3/4's of a mile that detour through the trailer park, um, I mean, Idaho Springs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Maybe raft masters not [email protected]$KIN ECHO!

Raft bastards on the ark. do the royal gorge if you have any experience if not big horn sheep canyon is hella fun and with this years water there will be carnage for sure. don't work for raven in canon that place is a shit hole. if you want a lot of trips hook up with the bigger commercial companies like raft masters or echo.
Talk to me off line. I've been a raft guide and safety kayaker on the ark for 12 years, on the Royal Gorge section, my company does Gore and Pine. If you want the break down send me a PM. Last year my first trip was April 16th and I had three trips at 750 cfs on Sept 5, Clear Creek is sliding over wet rocks 75% of the time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
haha

If you are looking for scenery and a good place to camp, then yea the ark is where its at. if you want to run the gnar. . then go to clear creek. all these people hating on the creek probably just cant run it. lower canyon at high water--> you should def have a saftey yakr. 150ft/mi drop for 5mi. shits a blast! as for being the "ditch", yea it does run all along 1-70 but besides Gore, id say that the lower advance clear creek is some of the gnar rafting in the state. The numbers and pine creek are way sick too! i guess its all on pref. :idea:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Talk to me off line. I've been a raft guide and safety kayaker on the ark for 12 years, on the Royal Gorge section, my company does Gore and Pine. If you want the break down send me a PM. Last year my first trip was April 16th and I had three trips at 750 cfs on Sept 5, Clear Creek is sliding over wet rocks 75% of the time.
What this fuckin' guy said.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dude, go to West Virginia - season lasts from march to october. Nobody video boats out here. Who wants to pick up gumbies safety boating when you could be pullin tubes and filming carnage. Call ACE or Songer.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
What? Like Silverthorne is so much better, what with the killer Blue river. I very rarely see that run with more then trickle status. You also can't talk about diesel fumes and proximity to I-70 either.

I for one would stay away from the Ark primarily because there is too much competition, especially if its your first year starting out in a company. I've had friends who barely got seat time on the baby trips their first year. The Ark raft guide lifestyle doesn't seem all that great from talking to people if you ask me.

Clear creek seems nice because you could actually afford to stay in an apartment rather then a tent wherever you can find a spot. I love camping and all, but its different then living out of a tent (he says speaking from experience) The mountain elitist guys on here stay away, so you'll get more work too. Plus, the Clear Creek season is longer then you think and its pretty easy to forget that I-70 is right next to you, since the river is usually quite a bit bellow the road.

I think I personally would got to Glenwood though, since the season is long, its a great area, and you should get plenty of work. Maybe not video or safety boater wise, but at least guiding. Might be endless trips down Sho-Sho for most of the year, but it pays the bills.

Hit up Vail if you can afford it, as they send trips all over the place with Timberline or Lakota and others. They go where the water is and offer lots of different levels of whitewater, so if you get in with them, you could probably do whatever.

Anywhere you go its going to be a good time on the river, its just down to what you want your life outside of work to be like really. Happy hunting, seems like you have a couple of leads with connected people already.

JH

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yeah, I second spending a summer in West By God Virginia. For sure. I'm not sure I can recommend Ace though. They have a great base with hundreds of acres right on the river, but the only problem (at least it used to be this way) is that they always put in right there, and its a lot of flat water before you reach Cunard. Its not an issue at higher water, but it really sucks at lower water. I'd recommend Mountain River Tours or the Rivermen.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Runners just puts gore in the brochure to look cool! living on the dusty, windy hill next to you, allen o and mac, smoking cigs is about the same as suckin' fumes on 1-70. 12 years! are you back on the weed private jim, you can't be counting all those 3 week stints as a year.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts