Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
Anything light, as long as you cut that nasty mesh banana hammock out of them first. If they have a recognizable name brand, they are instantly disqualified. If they carry the name of a recognized Designer, you are instantly disqualified and banned from the river. If they are faded and worn and show your junk, you've found a good pair
Peace

·
Registered
716 Posts
A pair of IR Guide Shorts will last a long time. The fleece lined version are uber comfy though a bit heavy when wet. I recently picked up a pair of the BomberGear Bomination shorts and they're fantastic with a neoprene liner. The best part about them is the webbed belt with buckle - easy adjustment for a better fit than you can get with the typical drawstring closure (IR). I just wish they made a pair of the shorts without the neoprene liner as well.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I thought IR was great and then I discovered that surf companies have been making board shorts for decades and they're way better. I got a pair of the basic O'Neill board shorts and they're light, super comfy, great fit and fast drying. If you need something warm then get one of those neoprene lined shorts like the IR shorts or just wear a separate neoprene short underneath.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
If you need something warm then get one of those neoprene lined shorts like the IR shorts or just wear a separate neoprene short underneath.
Fuck that. Talk about sweaty balls.... no neoprene. Period.

I have tried many different board shorts, and have really fallen in love with my latest pair. Oakley brand, several cargo pockets. Soft, comfy and dry quick.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've found Patagonia baggies to work really well. I also like the IR shorts or board shorts (esp. if you want to look way cool).

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
x2 on no neoprene or wet fleece down there.

While pockets aren't needed on the river much, I still need to get to and from the river and that requires keys wallet and phone. any short that cant haul those basics are about useless too, unless you're on a multi day trip.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have also lost a few shorts to an oar getting caught in the pocket. Snaps or velcro have helped that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have been using the IR Guide shorts with neoprene in them for a couple years now. I recently did a 5 day Deso trip and a 14 day Grand Canyon trip with them. I won't get the neoprene guide shorts again. I will definitely give the fleece lined shorts a try though. The neoprene shorts are great for hot day runs on cold rivers, but I won't ever do another multi-day with them. Even though I washed them out every night I still ended up with a funky rash on the tops of my legs on both trips.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys! I am going on the Grand next August, four days is the longest trip I have done before, day 4 of 16 with the wrong shorts........I would rather avoid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts