Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Packed up and ready to get on some whitewater. Any tips on which direction I should be headed? Aka where is the most water this spring?

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Are you wanting to get on the water asap?

If so you might head to the Pacific Northwest....

this map shows the current snowpack situation:

Utah and New Mexico aren't looking too bad...

·
River Gypsy
255 Posts
This spring is looking good for the Pacific Northwest and the Mid Atlantic.

You can check flows across the continent and see what's running at any time in color coded fashion at The River Gypsies' Flows Page.

For checking snowpack out west, the most handy single link I've found is this one. You can pull down the first menu to select a state, then just click the "create report" button. You'll want to look for the column of Snow-Water equivalent as percent of normal to see where the various areas stand.

Norhtern West Virginia has been flowing pretty good lately, and Washington State has been going too - although it's still pretty cold up there and not the best camping weather. It looks like they will have a great summer.

Leland

·
Registered
476 Posts
What do you mean not great camping weather? Rain/snow mix is AWESOME camping weather. Add some wind so that it comes in sideways and it's even better.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My parents still live in Washington and they are getting pounded with snow. It will be a great year..... later. I'm going in late July. The Wenatchee in big water- booha!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Leland- There are several descriptions of levels and such that need to be corrected in WA. Hit me up at kayak2the9 at yahoo.com and I can point them out.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Actually organized the raft gear since it was dry for a bit. Teaching a river awareness class tomorrow for the locals. Crossing my fingers it's at least dry for part of the time tomorrow morning. Non boaters don't usually like to stay cold and wet for long......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts