Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of all the rivers you float, which rapid(s) have your favourite name? And do you know or have the story behind it? I know a guy who used to be a commercial rafting guide on the Thompson River. He said they have a rapid called "the dog eater." Apparently they had a tourist from the south eastern states who insisted he bring his small dog on the raft with them against their better judgement. I think you can figure out what happened after that....

·
Registered
447 Posts
Skull

I've also liked Skull because Westwater is where I learned a lot when I moved to a raft. I really love that spot of the Canyon and world for that matter. The name comes from some of the first people to have run Westwater, they camped out at Skull because they were nervous about what more lay before them. While staying the night there they found a human Skull.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Died with HisDick in His Hand rapid -Backbone Creek ,Ohio..named after a "pissing accident" by a non boater... Cascades of Extinction on Lee Creek only III in spite of the name..Extra Pussy on Clear Creek. is pretty dumb.,,.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wet Ass Rapid on the Verde. Actually there is no rapid where Wet Bottom Creek meets the Rio Verde. Someone just had to name that opportunity. Or, Punk Rock. That little fukr at low water...

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've always found West Virginia's overbearing religious names for rapids rather unique: "Heaven's Gate", "Hell's Gates", "Pure screaming hell", and one-of-a-kind "Coming home sweet Jesus".

I'm not a religious person, but I think those rapid names on the lower meadow are well deserved.

Personally I always liked "Strippers Hole"...which is deep an unkind....

"Decap Rock" also paints a pretty picture.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'll second Skull on Westwater. Then there's Dried Meat on the main, story goes that a jet boat flipped and a couple of people died there. I don't know how true that is but that's a spooky name.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Flight Simulator, Grim Reaper, Termination, Jaws, Chaos, Juicer - so many good ones out there. the entire series on the Lower Lochsa is great with House Wave, Grim Reaper, Bloody Mary, Shoestring Falls, Jones Waves, Horsetail Falls, Prelude, Lochsa Falls, Picking up the Pieces, Pipeline, and Old Man.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts