Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where have your favorite spots been? Decent cities/towns close to paddling, and hopefully skiing too? I've lived in Salt Lake City, the skiing doesn't get any better, but the paddling leaves much to be desired. Great Mtn biking. I've lived in Boise, which I loved, although the skiing isn't so great. I will soon leave graduate school in Boston - nice city, but I prefer the west, i think - and want some ideas of places to check out.

Cheers,

Brady

·
www.bigwaterraft.com
66 Posts
Go to Jackson, Wyo. The play-boating is epic, as well as the creeking for most of the summer. Also, the skiing is almost as good as SLC. Almost. Oh yeah, and the Mtn biking is pretty good too. If you can find a gig there, then it is the perfect place. If not, then the other side of the mountain in teton valley idaho is good too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Move somewhere where you can ski and boat all year long.... head to the northwest. Oregon, Washington, N. California is where its at. Everywhere else in the west the season only last 2-3 months out of the year

·
Registered
56 Posts
nobody ever reps for alaska in these discussions, so i'll throw her in the mix. if you ski backcountry, anchorage has the best skiing in the world, three mountain ranges within 1.5 hrs, dawn patrols within the city limits, and the resort averages 700+ inches/year. for mtn biking, well-maintained single track all over town, and tons of trails throughout the state/natl parks. for paddling, three class V creeks within 20 minutes, a bunch more in striking distance for day runs, 20+ hrs of sun at the peak of the season, limitless first D potential, and paddling is good april-october. to be fair, only a couple play runs though, unless you drive a long ways or fly to iliamna. and on top of it all, the state pays you to live there.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My short list when looking into a similar thing was: Denver, Seattle, Boise, Portland, Sacramento. SLC is classic for just about everything but boating, so it didn't make my list.

Do a search on boatertalk and mountainbuzz and you'll find several past discussions.

I'm in Denver now, and it works well for me.

Big variable will be jobs and the size of the city you need to get a job.

Answer might depend on what difficulty and type of boating you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Some people think Salida Co is nice :p....

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I have to agree about the Pac NW. But you've got to be into urban/metro environments. By your posted profession, it might be a good fit?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not to hate on Colorado, but if you are looking to boat this is not the place to live. It's a place you visit in june/july and can ski 7 months out of the year (I actually had a friend who skied every month last year, but aug + sept were not pretty).

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you want Pac NW, move *near* Seattle. You don't have to live in the city, there are plenty of other options. The city would drive me nuts, so I live 40 min away from Seattle (which is also 10 min to a great put-in, and 20 min to the ski area) If I want warm and sunny- I head over the Mtns (one hour away gets me a 20 degree temp difference).

But then again- I'm a bit biased....:D

·
Registered
501 Posts
Taos, NM
Aspen, CO
Reno, NV

Crested Butte, CO
Durango/Telluride, CO
Stamboat Springs, CO
Park City/SLC area, UT
Jackson Hole/Teton area, WY
Whitefish area, MT

Salida/Buena Vista, CO
or Pac NW

·
Registered
80 Posts
The NW is cool if you like wet snow, rain, and cloudy skies. Colorado is pretty darn hard to beat as a total combination and the weather and culture are awesome.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The NW is cool if you like wet snow, rain, and cloudy skies. Colorado is pretty darn hard to beat as a total combination and the weather and culture are awesome.
I second that. Colorado has something going on all year. People say that boating only lasts a few months but I always manage to get in 6-8 months with dam controlled releases and a little travelling. And skiing also lasts 6 or more months and when you cross over, some months, or days, you can ski and boat. Then there's mtn biking and climbing and great towns and good culture. Other places may have one good thing that is better but Colorado has year round goodness.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you want Pac NW, move *near* Seattle. You don't have to live in the city, there are plenty of other options. The city would drive me nuts, so I live 40 min away from Seattle (which is also 10 min to a great put-in, and 20 min to the ski area) If I want warm and sunny- I head over the Mtns (one hour away gets me a 20 degree temp difference).

But then again- I'm a bit biased....:D
Probably depends on what you're into. Most 20 and 30 something live in Seattle...for a reason. The burbs ain't nearly as cool. North Bend is a good town however.

It's different up here than in Colorado. I miss the bluebird pow days, mountain towns, and some of the creeks that the rockies had.

Due to the lack of smaller towns that aren't filled with rednecks you definitely live in a more urban environment as a result. It's gray at least 7 months out of the year and you ski in flat light conditions a lot.

That being said, I'm not leaving this place anytime soon. Year round kayaking, epic snowfall (not this season), super beautiful surroundings, and a cool city more than make up for the lack of sun.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Not to hate on Colorado, but if you are looking to boat this is not the place to live. It's a place you visit in june/july and can ski 7 months out of the year (I actually had a friend who skied every month last year, but aug + sept were not pretty).
I would argue with that statement...December is the only month I havn't boated in Colorado. You may have to drive a few miles, but there is always something flowing...it actually gets more difficult to find snow to ski in October most years...mtn biking and rock climbing around here are also fantastic...
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/buena-vista-is-awesome-28271.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im gonna have to say NE TN and WNC! we have endless flows from class 1-5 all within 2 hours....green...doe...watauga...Nolichucky...nantahala..and TONS of creekin! Im not much on the slopes but there is a good 5 of 6 slopes runnin in the area...and MT biking is a big scene around here...again not my thing....but its all here!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm from NC and I love the paddling in that section of the country, but the skiing is non existent. My home ski mountain was literally 12 acres and experienced about 30 inches annually of snowfall, most of which was washed away by the inevitable post-snow rainstorm. The mountain biking isn't bad, but nothing like CO. However, I do miss paddling in June with no dry top, dry pants, helmet liners, or poagies...

·
Registered
339 Posts
I second that. Colorado has something going on all year. People say that boating only lasts a few months but I always manage to get in 6-8 months with dam controlled releases and a little travelling. And skiing also lasts 6 or more months and when you cross over, some months, or days, you can ski and boat. Then there's mtn biking and climbing and great towns and good culture. Other places may have one good thing that is better but Colorado has year round goodness.
Where is all this out of season CO paddling you speak of? As far as I can tell most people just hang it up for 8 or 9 months of the year. I guess you could scrape down the lower part of the Ark at 500 cfs or run Gore but I can't think of much else. Pumphouse is a nice raft fishing trip but would be awful in a kayak. Skiing is great here though, so I guess if you can live with a 3 or 4 month paddling season CO is the place to be.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Where is all this out of season CO paddling you speak of? As far as I can tell most people just hang it up for 8 or 9 months of the year. I guess you could scrape down the lower part of the Ark at 500 cfs or run Gore but I can't think of much else. Pumphouse is a nice raft fishing trip but would be awful in a kayak. Skiing is great here though, so I guess if you can live with a 3 or 4 month paddling season CO is the place to be.

As you stated Gore runs late, Bailey in the past has had late season runs on the North Fork. Waterton holds decent water early and late, I always seem to be boating that at odd times of the year. Shoshonee runs pretty much all year as well, sometimes it includes barrel springs. I ended with a Westwater trip in November, and will start out here in March again somewhere. Not many choices at certain points of the year, but if you want to boat you certainly can 7-8 months out of the year IMHO. Winter releases on the Ark were cool to see although I did not take advantage.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would argue that you can both paddle and ski 12 months out of the year in good ol' CO. It just depends on how bad you want it and the quality of skiing and boating you get in the "off season". There is something special about a New Year's float or an August t-shirt ski.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts