Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good deal on the GorTex Kokatat dry suit. Found them for about $780 on Amazon and Backcountry, seems like a good deal. Is there better one out there right now?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check out Austin Kayak they have a good selection
I'm not seeing any Kokatat dry suits on their site.

Also, does anyone know much about the fishing paddle suits? They sell them in GorTex but I don't know much about them or how they compare to the GFER suit.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have qualms with the Supernova Angler Paddling Suit? I'm thinking of going with that over the GFER. I'll be using this for 80% fishing in the winter/spring, 10% on the GC, and 10% running whitewater in my raft. If the neoprene neck bugs me, I can always glue in a rubber gasket. My main concern is with the flat rubber zipper over the regular metal zipper.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Also, does anyone know much about the fishing paddle suits? They sell them in GorTex but I don't know much about them or how they compare to the GFER suit.
I think the main difference is the neck gasket.. The angler that has a neoprene gasket instead of the rubber gasket.. Not quite as waterproof but the neoprene is a lot more comfortable.. If you are a rafter the angler wouldn't be a bad option but it you are a kayaker you probably want the rubber gasket. I got my wife the hydrus 3l angler and she really likes it.. I had her try on my dry suite before I ordered hers and she couldn't do the rubber gasket.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the main difference is the neck gasket.. The angler that has a neoprene gasket instead of the rubber gasket.. Not quite as waterproof but the neoprene is a lot more comfortable.. If you are a rafter the angler wouldn't be a bad option but it you are a kayaker you probably want the rubber gasket. I got my wife the hydrus 3l angler and she really likes it.. I had her try on my dry suite before I ordered hers and she couldn't do the rubber gasket.
The other big difference is the flat rubber zipper, and that's my main concern. I'm not a kayaker and don't plan to be, I really only have been rafting to fish...but recently have started enjoying the whitewater and am going to go on some non-fishing whitewater trips in this thing. Don't plan to do much swimming, but if it happens and I get a little wet, whatever. I do want to stay comfortable on a winter GC trip in this thing, so that's another concern.

I own the hydrus for work, with the flat zipper. It leaks like a siv from one leg and the bottom of the rubber zipper. That said, we beat the hell out of dry suits at work (installing fish weirs) and I don't think that's a good way to review a dry suit.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My kids have Supernovas with a Tzip (rubber zipper). So far so good, but only been used a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn. I blew it. Went to pull the trigger this morning and all the sales are over and dry suits are now back at full price everywhere I've looked.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have the Gore Tex angler suit and a Meridian Gore Tex suit as well. The angler suit is a lighter weight material which in my opinion is a lot more comfortable. I haven't had a swim in the angler but the neck gasket is pretty tight and should be fine for anything except kayaking.
Dry so far in regular rafting splashes. I wouldn't worry about the zipper failing, this type of zipper is used in quite a few other applications and Kokatat doesn't make any junk. The plus is the zippers are a lot easier to close.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I'll second (or third or fourth) the Kokatat Hydrus Angler. I bought one before my February/March Grand Canyon trip and it did great. I used to kayak a ton, and always hated the latex neck gaskets on them. The Neoprene neck gasket is very comfortable, and as long as you remember to tighten the draw string it stays pretty dry too. I did a full extreme test as seen here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yboQwu9unM

There was a bit of water in it afterward, but only a tiny bit. I wouldn't say its an every day extreme duty drysuit, but it does the job for occasional use and has strong Cordura Nylon panels in all the right places so it should last. All I needed on that trip was the drysuit and a Polartec Fleece Union Suit (also from Kokatat) and I stayed warm. I've survived a couple of different cold weather snowy days with just that combo without getting cold at all.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll second (or third or fourth) the Kokatat Hydrus Angler. I bought one before my February/March Grand Canyon trip and it did great. I used to kayak a ton, and always hated the latex neck gaskets on them. The Neoprene neck gasket is very comfortable, and as long as you remember to tighten the draw string it stays pretty dry too. I did a full extreme test as seen here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yboQwu9unM

There was a bit of water in it afterward, but only a tiny bit. I wouldn't say its an every day extreme duty drysuit, but it does the job for occasional use and has strong Cordura Nylon panels in all the right places so it should last. All I needed on that trip was the drysuit and a Polartec Fleece Union Suit (also from Kokatat) and I stayed warm. I've survived a couple of different cold weather snowy days with just that combo without getting cold at all.

Thanks for that review. Outdoor Play extended their 20% off sale to me for the suit, and I got the goretex supernova Angler suit.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I actually meant to recommend exactly that route to you and mention that I got mine with the same deal. Its cool to see that they started making a Goretex version too. I probably would have gotten that one if they had it a few months ago when I ordered mine. I'm happy with the price and build of the Hydrus version though, so I'll keep using that till it wears out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts