Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all! Just built a 7x14 ft raft trailer for my Aire 156R. Was thinking of painting the plywood deck but that might be silly. Plain Thompson's Water Seal or other coating? Thanks for the comments/suggestions in advance! :)

· Registered
66 Posts
I'm sure you'll get some traction here, but if not you can always head down to your local paint store and ask them for advice.

I built a wooden deck for our 156R two summers ago, and went into Sherwin Williams and asked for 'the most water resistant, UV resistant paint that you have.' Sold me two gallons of something, put about 6 coats of it on, and it's held up extremely well so far. Just 2c.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure you'll get some traction here, but if not you can always head down to your local paint store and ask them for advice.

I built a wooden deck for our 156R two summers ago, and went into Sherwin Williams and asked for 'the most water resistant, UV resistant paint that you have.' Sold me two gallons of something, put about 6 coats of it on, and it's held up extremely well so far. Just 2c.
Thanks Ben!! Much appreciated! :)

· Registered
115 Posts
Cabot Deck Correct got good reviews on a past Buzz forum I found awhile back. Haven't used it yet on my frame boards but that's the plan. $50 for a gallon at Ace Hardware and you can choose the color.

· Registered
168 Posts
Use something that will penetrate rather than coat the surface. I'm saying stain versus paint. Linseed oil with spirits a good option. So are the new water based stains. Use something with tint for UV protection if you go that route. Get the better product; it will last longer.

· Beginner
3,204 Posts
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Sports equipment Asphalt

This is an image a recent trailer I treated with the Cabot product. It bonds and flexes really well, so after a good sanding of the marine plywood, I did paint on a thin coat of spar. It soaked right in and I rough sanded it. The Cabot paint stuck and cured like a rock, and has just the right texture for traction under foot, but an easy slide on the boat. A couple hundred bucks for a sanding belt, a gallon of urethane, and two gallons of Cabot, and it was perfect in every way. Highly recommend after doing the same research here, and having used the product before.

It's designed for old decks with gaps and cracks, but on good plywood, is perfect for this application.

· Registered
115 Posts
View attachment 84625
This is an image a recent trailer I treated with the Cabot product. It bonds and flexes really well, so after a good sanding of the marine plywood, I did paint on a thin coat of spar. It soaked right in and I rough sanded it. The Cabot paint stuck and cured like a rock, and has just the right texture for traction under foot, but an easy slide on the boat. A couple hundred bucks for a sanding belt, a gallon of urethane, and two gallons of Cabot, and it was perfect in every way. Highly recommend after doing the same research here, and having used the product before.

It's designed for old decks with gaps and cracks, but on good plywood, is perfect for this application.
Excellent. How many coats of Cabot did you use?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts