Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still fairly new to river running and am having a hard time getting my roll when my instructor has me all the under by myself - I keep falling out of my boat when I attempt a sweep roll. I think the back band (foam block) is not keeping me in when I brace with my feet. not sure if adding more foam block at the back vs. back band is best.
any suggestions?

·
Registered
86 Posts
hey there, if you have any kind of an instructor at all -he/she should be able to give you the proper advise to get secured in the boat (such as where to glue foam blocks)-if not, you are paying him/her way too much money. remember that the Dancer is probably older than you-it was my 1st boat 20 years ago!!!! (smile) once you get a tight fit, the dancer is probably the easiest boat ever made to roll........cheers

·
Registered
351 Posts
Boy I had a hard time getting out of the Dancer... Those cockpits were tiny. The boat should fit your hips, and with your feet on the pegs your thighs/knees should be snug in the thigh brace area. if your 'falling out' I'm guessing your thighs aren't using the thigh brace area. Try moving the foot pegs up so that you can 'wear' the boat in the thigh brace area. Find some foam and shape it/tape it in place.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I would suggest the dumpster!! I have an RPM you can have that is 10 years newer but still over 10 years old. You will be surpised how much more comfortable and supportive boats have gotten over time. Nothing wrong with vintage gear though if it works for ya!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would suggest the dumpster!! I have an RPM you can have that is 10 years newer but still over 10 years old. You will be surpised how much more comfortable and supportive boats have gotten over time. Nothing wrong with vintage gear though if it works for ya!
I learned to paddle in a 13.5' open canoe! Technique, technique, technique, will make that thing work :)
(make sure u don't fall out of your seat!!) :cool:

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,236 Posts
Hey now...
DON'T DIS THE DANCER
I used to video boat In WV out of a Dancer XT in the early 90s
It would throw huge endos
BTW Erica
Gule in some bigger blocks than you need then shave them down with a sureform till they fit
Better yet... just tape some hip pads in there for now because youll probably want a new boat before the glue dries

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey now...
DON'T DIS THE DANCER
BTW Erica
Gule in some bigger blocks than you need then shave them down with a sureform till they fit
Better yet... just tape some hip pads in there for now because youll probably want a new boat before the glue dries

Ahhh the dancer... First boat I ever sat in. Didn't even wear a spray skirt, just ran it open. Now, granted, I was only boating class toddler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the offer - I sent you aprovate msg as well. let's look into that to see if it's feasable depending on where you are located. I am going to try to give it one good last shot at outfitting.
Erika

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey now...
DON'T DIS THE DANCER
BTW Erica
Thanks! - what is a sureform and where can I buy one?

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,236 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sureform is a raspy sanding type device that works well for sanding and shaping foam among other things. Cn pick one up for a couple of bucks at any hardware store/walmart. And definately try moving the footpegs up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Hey now...
DON'T DIS THE DANCER
The only reason that boat would ender for you is because you've got legs like Rosie O'Donnell. Pretty east to get the bow under when your cankles weigh more than your ass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How does the seat on the dancer move forward? The screws coming thru the cockpit seem to go into an abyss - I can feel any kind of nut on the other side of the seat, and I'm concerned that if I unscrew them, I won't be able to get them back into their slots.

If it can be moved, I'll do it....but it would appear on this model, that they never anticipated one would need to trim the boat :)

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,236 Posts
The only reason that boat would ender for you is because you've got legs like Rosie O'Donnell. Pretty east to get the bow under when your cankles weigh more than your ass.
Dont hate me because I'm beautiful.... Bigbird

1 - 19 of 19 Posts