Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, First post wahoo!

I am looking for a rotomolded cooler for rafting that has a proper lip on the front and back for hanging on a frame, similar to the Canyon Prospector 103, but smaller. Preferably in the 65-90 Quart range.

Price isn't an issue for me. Durability and weight are.

Any suggestions?? Does this cooler exist?

Thanks so much!

Cheers!

·
Registered
39 Posts
It depends on what you consider a proper lip. I have an 65 qt Engel Cooler that has a lip, but it is only about 1/2 inch. They also make an 80 and 85 quart that have a similar lip. For some strange reason, Engel made the latches hang slightly below the lip. They make a replacement stainless steel latch that looks like it could be modified so that it wouldn't hang below the lip, but some one would have to verify that. I only use my cooler on a canoe, but it is a great little cooler. I agree that you would want to hang your cooler and not depend solely on the lip to hold it. I really like these straps by cascade river gear.

Cooler Sling – Cascade River Gear

There is a pretty big difference in the size of the coolers in your proposed range. I would recommend you settle on the size you like best and then find a cooler that works the best for you.

·
Definite maybe
916 Posts
Pelican coolers are really tall. I tried one but ended up selling it cause i didnt want to reinvent my frame geometry. I hang a board from 4 straps and a strap over the top now. It is solid, and when i say that i mean it doesnt budge no matter what.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
I always recommend that you get the biggest, the best that will fit your available space and budget. There are so many ways to mount a cooler that you should not be concerned with hanging it on your rails by its lips. I do prefer my canyon 103 over any of the coolers I have. I planned my frame, boat around its dimensions so I could do a small light set up and still carry everything needed to self support for a week long trip. Capacity for great food and lots of Ice is a top priority. Set up your frame and boat and measure exactly how much space you can take up with cooler, length, width, height and use that as you guide as to what will work best. Remember that you can wedge a cooler between your tubes that is wider than your tubes are center to center and it actually helps stabilize the frame and cooler to the boat

Reactions: NoCo

·
Definite maybe
916 Posts
I always recommend that you get the biggest, the best that will fit you available space and budget. There are so many ways to mount a cooler that you should not be concerned with hanging it on your rails by its lips. I do prefer my canyon 103 over any of the coolers I have. I planned my frame, boat around its dimensions so I could do a small light set up and still carry everything needed to self support for a week long trip. Capacity for great food and lots of Ice is a top priority. Set up you frame and boat and measure exactly how much space you can take up with cooler, length, width, height and use that as you guide as to what will work best. Remember that you can wedge a cooler between your tubes that is wider than your tubes are center to center and it actually helps stabilize the frame and cooler to the boat
Good advice. To add to it. When building your frame, you may want to have your cooler already. The height you sit at changes you oar tower height, and your footbar position. Myself, i see people with their captains chairs and i guess it works for them. But i feel better low. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree, get the bigger cooler. I have a foam block I put in the bottom of my prospector to shrink the interior space when I don’t need it all for shorter trips. Works great and this way I don’t have to change out coolers but have the space for the weeklong.

I always recommend that you get the biggest, the best that will fit your available space and budget. There are so many ways to mount a cooler that you should not be concerned with hanging it on your rails by its lips. I do prefer my canyon 103 over any of the coolers I have. I planned my frame, boat around its dimensions so I could do a small light set up and still carry everything needed to self support for a week long trip. Capacity for great food and lots of Ice is a top priority. Set up your frame and boat and measure exactly how much space you can take up with cooler, length, width, height and use that as you guide as to what will work best. Remember that you can wedge a cooler between your tubes that is wider than your tubes are center to center and it actually helps stabilize the frame and cooler to the boat

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Yeti 125 in the front bay of my 12'6 cat. Awesome. Is a Yeti worth the cash? Probably, but I am guessing other coolers for a few dollars less are just as good.

I also have a mini-max with an oar set-up. I bought a rotomolded cooler for a measly $129 called the Cater Gator. (Got it from a restaurant supply store.) It's not as good as a Yeti but if I had it to do over again, I'd buy their 100 quart for half the money over a Yeti.

CaterGator CG100WH White 100 Qt. Rotomolded Extreme Outdoor Cooler / Ice Chest

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a Yeti 75 that sits well on the crossbars. Rubber latches work fine. Works great overall, just find myself wanting more cold storage. Probably going to upgrade to Prospector to maximize storage.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Buying a cooler is about fitting the space that your raft provides and should be determined based on the specs of the cooler and not necessarily your choice of brand. Canyon coolers have by far the best space to ratio IMO. Having tabs or things that hang the cooler is not necessary and what straps are for. Explaining all this is proving how much the sport is growing with people that have no knowledge. It used to be a bunch of old seasoned river guides out there helping each other out and making it work but things are seemingly changing and now every Tom, Dick and Jane is on the river. Oh well

·
Registered
911 Posts
Buying a cooler is about fitting the space that your raft provides and should be determined based on the specs of the cooler and not necessarily your choice of brand. Canyon coolers have by far the best space to ratio IMO. Having tabs or things that hang the cooler is not necessary and what straps are for. Explaining all this is proving how much the sport is growing with people that have no knowledge. It used to be a bunch of old seasoned river guides out there helping each other out and making it work but things are seemingly changing and now every Tom, Dick and Jane is on the river. Oh well
How is this any different than when you didn't know anything and people explained it to you?

We all learn... this is just public.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I worked as a guide on the Ditch and learnied through the school of hard knocks. Down there you’re on your own to figure it out what works for you and learn from experience. There were no forums or Internet and you simply paid attention to what seemed like was working for others. As they say ‘pay attention it’s free!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Really hard to find cooler where resting the cooler on the lip doesn't comprise your ability to open it and so forth. As other have said, the CC Prospector is the best opinion if can make it fit. But let me perhaps suggest a smaller, alternative option in the Otterbox Venture 65, which has the lip in the "X" dimension in the form of some slick handles...which depending on your dimension might rest on or be easily secured to the the frame. I picked up the Venture 45 for overnighters, and was quite impressed with it on WW both for how well it kept ice as well secured via only nrs straps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts