Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're running Lodore for the first time come late August. So, what are the best campsites? Thanks in advance...

~Aaron

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mathers is definitely on the Yampa - not sure about Box Elder. Jones Hole 4 is nice because it's away from the others, but still buggy as HELL. We stayed at both Pot Creek 1 and Rippling Brook 2 on Lodore a couple weeks ago - Rippling Brook 2 was SWEET! Great beach....great little rapid to run paco races from Rippling Brook 1 back to camp....short hike to a waterfall....all sorts of goodness.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Avoid Island Park if you can. Last year the mosquitoes could carry away small children!
My favorite was the camp just above Whinnies grotto. Has a great hike up to the plateau.

·
Registered
78 Posts
+1 to Rippling Brook 2. A great swimming hole at low water levels (900 cfs). Nice surf wave just below camp. Triplet isn't so bad at low water either (nice beach, swimming, shade if needed).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Skip it..

One camp site to skip would be Jone's Hole #2- lots of mice and snakes. However, you might consider Jone's Hole #1.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Oh yeah - forgot - in addition to the skeeters at Jones Hole 4, there seems to be a resident skunk. Spent the whole night rummaging thru our stuff and keeping us awake.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Lodore Campsites

Pot Creek is really nice,big beach and shade, looks like heaven when you float in

Triplet is great for the shade and the sound of the rapid directly downstream, but was somewhat buggy two weeks back when I stayed there. However, since it is on the left bank, it doesn't get sun until later in the morning, which was nice to get breakfast and gear up in the shade

Both Rippling brook campsites are very nice, #1 has a great swimming hole but #2 has the best beach

Limestone has good morning shade but the Hatch boys said it was buggy

Jones #1 and #4 are best. Even if you don't stay there you should take the hike up to Buttdam falls and the petrogylphs

Compromise is okay, but there are better

For Godsakes, don't stay at the Cove unless you are interested in donating blood. If you are assigned that one, continue down to Big Island(if you have to stay in Island Park at all)

I have been down earlier in the year and never say a mosquito, and I hear that late summer trips don't have bug issues, but I think we hit it during prime season.
Just as an afterthought, we brought along a cheap 9 x 13' wal-mart screen tent in case he bugs were bad- Best $36 One night we had to cook, hang out and sleep in the thing and time our excursions out in a well-planned offensive-I doubt you will have it that bad in August, but you never know

·
Registered
20 Posts
We had a layover day at Limestone. Really nice with lots of shade. It had the least amount of mosquitoes of all of the camps. Lower camps were real buggy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Shortbus,

Which site as better- Pot Creek 1 or 2?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right on, thanks for the info all.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Been down Yampa and Lodore quite a few times. May, June and August trips.

Never had a bug problem on any of the camps at or above Jones Hole.

The camps below Jones tho even the one just below Jones have been thick with bugs the times we have been assigned there. Be sure you have tents with good mesh screens for sleeping and a couple of screen houses / tarps make cooking and eating bearable. Island Park has been a blood letting. If wind is blowing it is ok, but soon as the breeze hesitates or slows down the attack re starts big time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts