Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best level to surf lunchcounter on a board? Also, how gnarly is the swim if you wipe out? Any tips from someone who's done it would be much appreciated.

Surfs Up
Ben

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I was there on Sunday and a guy was ripping it up on a short board. I think the level was about 9500, but check the flows for that day. It should be dropping and getting steeper, so it'll probably depend on what size / shape board you bring.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Call Rendezvous River Sports in Jax

Give Rendezvous in Jackson a call. A couple of the guys that work there surf and I heard they are stocking surf boards this year. Last year, I remember guys surfing boards down to 7,000 cfs.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You mean surfing a wave like this guy?

This guy is ripping it up on a short board on the Pipeline Wave on Lochsa River in Idaho. It's about 10,000 cfs here. He got a good 15 minute ride. Pretty cool to watch.

Note that he has a cord to shore to help him stay on the wave.

·
Registered
88 Posts
surf boards can surf lunch counter at many levels, much higher levels than kayakers. I was there yesterday and there was a guy tearing it up at 9200 cfs. The wave is still pretty green at that level, but once it starts to get below 9,000 and especially 8,000...oh baby, it is on. It dropped to 8300 today and going down, I am 15 minutes from lunch counter right now--uuuhh, gotta go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts