Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been running the old green coleman with the small green propane canisters for car camping for years and now several years of multi-day rafting. Looking to up-grade to a higher level. I see the Partner Steel gear as highly recommended in other threads. Wondering what people's favorite/best kitchen set-ups (for cooking gear) look like.

Considering picking up the 18" (4) burner with stand and wind screen. I wonder if the stand is sturdy? I also considered the blaster as an addition as well but thought that with 4 burners available it might be overkill. I also looked at the (2 burner) 22" stove with lid but felt like it may not have the space I'd like. I would like to run several burners with food and water both. Looking at the sized and anodized griddle set up as well. Feedback?

I know, I know..."It all depends". I get that it depends on the trip size and cook's/rafter's personal preferences. Just wondering what others have enjoyed and might recommend. Usually our trips include between 10 - 20 people. Dont really see going over that mark.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Partner is the way to go

Partner stoves are super durable and easy to clean, you will be very happy with you purchase. I have own one now to 10 years and it works amazingly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can't say enough about my 4 burner partner stove. The stand is very sturdy and, I've never used the windscreen that I bought with it.

On the subject of the blaster, I recommend getting a woodland power stove. I like it because it folds up more compact than the blaster. I've been told it is easier on propane (cannot confirm that).

More importantly, it boils water for coffee way faster than the partner stove. A big bonus on a chilly morning.

We also use the power stove for heating dishwater. Due to the fact that we don't have much table space in my crew we do dishes on the ground. My metal dish basins always end up coated outside with sand. I like that I don't have to put the crusty pails on my nice food cooking stove.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've got two break apart 2 burners from Partner Steel and they are amazing! I really like being able to break the stoves apart for a large 14" dutch or keep them together for a griddle, etc. Nothing wrong with the old green colemans though. But hey if you can afford it I would upgrade to the Partner stoves and never look back.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Blasters as a rule rock and I think the woodland power stove sounds like a jet plane. They are really noisy. Partner burners have the same BTU's as your basic coleman burners, 10,000 BTU's per burner. If you have a blaster and a reliable two burner stove you are set for at least 90% of the cooking situations you will run into. I like to run a splitter off the tank and run both the stove and the blaster from the same source.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If money is a concern: Colman + Blaster
The best: Partner + Blaster
The best part of the Colman set up is that when you tell the group that you've got a Colman stove to offer, someone steps up with a Partner and your shiny Colman sits at home waiting for it's day in the sunshine.
Having used both; the only advantage I see in the Partner is being able separate the burners for big pots.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Power Stove Vrs. Blaster

I have a power stove and think highly of it. I'm agree with Mc Farrel about it being very compact. It does use less gas that the Blaster, because is burns at a maximum of 65,000 btu's. What it does do, that the Blaster does not, is to adjust down to a simmer. I too use it primarily for heating dishwater in large galvanized buckets, and of course coffee in the AM. Do be careful of where you set it up as it gets quite hot and will set any ground grass or leaves afire.
Partner stoves are wimpy in the btu department at 10,000 btu's. I prefer the Camp Chef Everest, which sports two 20,000 btu burners. REI has had these stoves on sale the past two springs for $79.00. It's a good option if you don't want to fork out so much dough. Happy cooking!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd recommend the 18" 4 burner break apart and the woodland power stove. For really small trips you can take 1/2 of the partner. For 10 or so, add the blaster. Take it all for the larger trips. Grab all the gas fittings so you can run any combo you want, including the 1 lbers. Really versatile set up that should last forever.

·
Registered
117 Posts
not to bash coleman nor partner but we have used a Stansport 2 burner for years. Use a tree and a aluminum propane tank. The Stansport has two 20,000 btu burners. It is very light. We did experience a problem with the regulator on one and stansport sent a new part for free. Not the most durable stove but again it is very light and works very well

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,550 Posts
If you are going to step up to the partner I'd reccommend bite the bullet and get the 22" 4 burner break apart. Its damn near a kitchen stove. "Problem" with the 18" is that you can't get two good sized pans on each burner. You can get a good sized pan and a sauce pan. The 22" lets you get 4 frying pans, dutchies, etc. I have had the 22" 4 burner and a woodland for over a decade and they both work like the day I got them (after a regulator replacement on the woody). That includes using the partner for over a year as an everyday kitchen stove. People sometimes bitch that the partner has 10000 BTU burners, but so do most kitchen stoves, so its plenty. With the repair kit (that I have never once gotten into after i bet almost 1000 days of use) you can be pretty damn sure that it won't leave you stranded. Partners 22" griddle is made for the stove and you can whip out breakfast for a crew pretty quick. None of these things are cheap but if you keep people from being complete idiots and destroying them you shouldn't be buying again.

·
Registered
373 Posts
As far as the best kitchen set up goes. I would also add that it's very nice to have a legit river table that doubles as the deck up front. Most of my group rolls with tables so we have 4 tables all at a nice height in the kitchen. I like the little blue rollatables for a bar setup or apps, but it sucks to slice and dice or do dishes on those as they are sooooo low to the ground. We normally keep the dish setup on one table ready to go.

·
Super Moderator
3,005 Posts
Partner stoves are wimpy in the btu department at 10,000 btu's. I prefer the Camp Chef Everest, which sports two 20,000 btu burners. REI has had these stoves on sale the past two springs for $79.00. It's a good option if you don't want to fork out so much dough. Happy cooking!
Used an Everest on a Deso trip two years ago and bought one right after. Several multi days and lots of overnight day tripping on mine now without a hitch. I love the push button igniter (have had to adjust the gap a couple of times). It is also wider than a coleman so it fits a couple of pans better. With the BTU output you do have to watch people who want to blast with it. I have had people crank it up to where the flame is coming around the coffee pot and halfway up the pot. It uses more gas if you don't monitor that.

But the reason I bought it and love it......IT SIMMERS.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have a partner 4 burner and happy with it. Purchased back in the early 90's except for a few dents and stains (my fault) stove works like new.

I have one of the original woodland stoves and like the design but I have been unable to get it to put out the advertised heat. again probably my fault but not worth it to me to play around with the stove

I got one of the camp chef single burner stoves burners they advertise for heating big pots of water. I cut off the extra legs etc down to just the basics. It now easily fits into one of my extra GSI 14 DO bags with space to spare. Not quite as compact as the woodland but puts out the heat for me that the woodland does not.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've had a Camp Chef "Sport Utility" stove for a number of years. Basically the same 20k btu burners as the Everest, but in a larger/wider case. The burners still work great, high power and great for simmering, but the case is falling apart and there really isn't a way to repair it. I've still got it, but it is basically retired.

I bought one of the little two burner Partners on a big sale at CRG a couple of years back. It works solidly just like all Partners do, and it is great for a smaller group or car camping, but it really is too small for the big pots and skillets needed for groups we usually boat with. Others in the usual group have the big Partner 4 burners, so luckily I don't have to carry it anyway.

Also a big fan of the Woodland Power Stove. In addition to all that others have mentioned above, it has a restrictor plate that drops in the jet blaster tunnel and with some properly sized cinder rocks or ceramic logs on a grate, it makes a pretty decent campfire facsimile for that evening ambiance when you can't have an actual fire. It is the single most versatile bit of camping gear I own.

·
"Just Read and Run Baby!"
77 Posts
Not a big fan of the partner stove's burner adjustment, very finicky valves; very little range of motion between off and full blast; maybe an 1/8 of an inch. I don't cook on high flame at home unless I'm boiling water and even then, it's probably 75% to match the bottom of the pot. Wish they would improve this. My friends have them but I'm not spending that kind of money.

This is the 16" pictured, fits in a 20mm box to keep it clean. Works great with roasting pans. I've used this setup many times for Grand Canyon trips feeding 16 people with two pans.

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Not a big fan of the partner stove's burner adjustment, very finicky valves; very little range of motion between off and full blast; maybe an 1/8 of an inch. I don't cook on high flame at home unless I'm boiling water and even then, it's probably 75% to match the bottom of the pot. Wish they would improve this. My friends have them but I'm not spending that kind of money..
Blasphemy! How dare you besmirch Partner!

I actually agree with your assessment. I succumbed to Buzz peer pressure when I found mine on a big discount. I like it's form factor and looks better than its actual function.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,550 Posts
The partner burners are a bit finicky to adjust, though you can get it. Definitely the one thing i'd change. If you are doing mainly griddle cooking or big rectangle pot cooking like in the picture, the 16 or 18" would be perfect.

Okie, Your woodland probably had the same regulator mine used to. Give them a call. He sent me a new one and I bought a back up. I don't know if it puts out the claimed BTU's but mine is almost never on full blast. I was told by a smart feller if the flame is licking more than an inch up the side you are wasting gas.

The other thing you can do, that makes it absolutely reliable as it gets, and that I will do if this reg goes bad, is main line it! Geo Ron has a mainlined woody and it rips. If I remember right he has 2 ball valves and a needle valve inline and can fine tune from a simmer to a blowtorch that would melt the thing. Secretly, I want my regulator to fail.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I picked up a Camp Chef Mountaineer last year to replace my old green Coleman, and I ended up leaving my WPS at home because the Camp Chef cranks out heat and is super adjustable. It's CC's version of a Partner stove, aluminum body vs stainless, but so far it's great, albeit kind of bulky.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts