Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im finally getting to go down the canyon and i want kayak the whole thing.(most of the days). currently have a wavesport EZ, that kills my feet. i was told that i need a bigger and longer boat to be able play in the big waves vs. what i have now. originally i was going to go toward a jackson fun or EZG50 but maybe now looking towands a mamba or deisel. any thoughts on whats a good all around choice to be able to play and crash huge holes? thanks...

·
Registered
11 Posts
kayak for the big ditch

I went down the Grand a few years ago and switched off with a friend from raft to kayak, we had a diesel, it worked great. It was predictable and comfortable, yet able to surf as well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
never done the grand by for days like westwater especially i really love my diesel 75

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Something that is comfortable, most of the river is flat and if your feet hurt you'll be someone no one will want to be around.

·
Registered
526 Posts
SummitAP,

The necky jive because it is surf inspired boat, most Necky boats are for that matter. One of the Necky designers is a world champion surf boater so therefore makes great surf boats.

·
Registered
25 Posts
WS Godzilla

Buddy been down the ditch couple of times in the WS Godzilla and swears by the boat. I have one in good shape that I barely use that you could use for the trip if you want. That way you could save your money and buy something you might want to use more often (unless you plan on using the boat for more than just the Grand. I might not be able to make it down the the Grand but for damn sure maybe something I own will.
I live in the Fort, PM me if you want to use the boat.
Horn

·
Registered
295 Posts
Paddle whatever is comfortable. You won't have any trouble keeping up with the rafts in a well outfitted play boat. Also, you don't need to have a long boat to play on the waves in there.

Basically, any kind of boat you take will work, just take one that is comfortable. So long as you have a solid roll you don't need to worry about having an 'easy to roll boat.' Honestly, its the roll, not the boat that determines if you will come up or not. If you are concerned about rolling in the big water, practice your roll a bunch instead of worrying about a boat.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You need a longer boat. I've been down a few times and the boat I would take would be the Riot Slice. Long for surfing and flat water, slicy ends for squirting the millions of swirlies. The Jive would do too. Hull speed is a huge deal down there, as every wave is catch on the fly and nothing has eddy service, except President Harding Wave.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, it's a tough decision. I'm going in Oct. and am planning on taking my 4twenty. I know it's small, but it's what I'm most experienced in and it's pretty comfy. It'll let me cartwheel and goof around in the flats too.

·
Registered
569 Posts
hands down the most comfortable big wave surfer is the Remix. The Bad ass outfitting is the bomb. I am 180 5'10 size 10 feet. I can fit in any of them. The 69 is designed for me and great but I often paddle the 79 for creeking but the hull is old school planning and super fast. It will make the miles fly by and you will catch all the waves you want.

Peter

Liquidlogic Kayaks

·
Registered
808 Posts
old school hulls are displacement. does the remix have a flat [planing] or round [displacement] hull? been curious about that boat....

·
Registered
58 Posts
All depends on what you're comfortable in and what type of kayaker you are. I took a ZG54 last fall and was very happy with the boat choice. It is a bit longer and faster than the latest playboat designs, but the boat can still do just about all the dynamic surf moves on big waves.

On the other hand you could take a Cadillac of a boat, be more comfortable, and not quite as surfy and playful as you could be.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts