Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Tapeats loop - can't remember where it comes out just upstream from Football Field.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Tapeats, Deer Creek, Tuckup Canyon, Matkatamiba, Havasu, Vishnu. But most of the camps have good hikes to side canyons or great views. You can't lose.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi,

Get Tom Martin's "Hikes from the River". A hundred hikes, well-written with good descriptions of what to expect.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
432 Posts
Tapeats to Thunder River (all day) and Deer Creek up to the throne room (half day) are the coolest in my opinion.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Deer Creek to the Throne Room is quite beautiful (and refreshing since you're following a creek the whole way). Seeing water spout out of a stone face isn't something you get to see very often.

Havasu is also a classic. Azul blue waters from the calcium carbonate.

Here's a shot from the throne room (named for the stone thrones by the waterfall) - http://fluidglass.com/john-nestler/files/2011/10/Relaxing-on-a-Throne.jpg

Blacktail is breathtaking as well -http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanenglish/3612025831/

Enjoy the trip!

- John
Fluid Glass Network

·
Registered
834 Posts
All of my favorite hikes were low key hikes up side canyons behind regular old camps. We missed Havasu because it was about to flash (monsoon season) but I didn't regret it too much. There were a few commercial barges and at least 50 people at the trail head. I preferred commando hikes behind camp.

My advice would be to make sure you explore behind camp every day that you aren't too wiped out from being on the oars and don't sweat too much about missing some classic hike because it is all beautiful and planning a GC trip is a big enough pain in the ass without trying to figure out, in advance, where you want to hike.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Is it true about a cave at the water fall on Thunder creek. My friend said you can go a long ways in a cave behind the water fall Or it my be where the water comes out on the rock.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Is it true about a cave at the water fall on Thunder creek. My friend said you can go a long ways in a cave behind the water fall Or it my be where the water comes out on the rock.
Yes, you go in where the waterfall comes out of the rock and if you are prepared with very warm clothes, good batteries in headlamps and good climbing skills you can go far. We went back about a half mile after swimming through many long, cold pools of water and scrambling over rock piles. It is spooky to be that far back into the rock but so fun.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yes, you go in where the waterfall comes out of the rock and if you are prepared with very warm clothes, good batteries in headlamps and good climbing skills you can go far. We went back about a half mile after swimming through many long, cold pools of water and scrambling over rock piles. It is spooky to be that far back into the rock but so fun.
For me, it's kinda sketchy and exposed going in the cave. If you mess up you'll be lucky to be helicoptered out dead. If you lived through that fall you'd wish you were. I'm not a climber, but I'm not too easily scared either.

You're right about the warm clothes (maybe a wetsuit depending on how long you'll be in there), a backup light and extra batteries, a waterproof bag.

·
Registered
701 Posts
one more vote for Havasu

It's quite a ways with tons of crossings, but there's a reason you see pictures of those falls on walls around the world. It's a beautiful place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts