Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading down the Grand Canyon at the end of April and am wondering if i can get some advice on the best footwear to bring. I will have chacos but i'm wondering if i also need a water proof raft bootie like the NRS Boundary shoe.

I may hit all kinds of weather and want to be prepared for the cold days as well as the warm ones. I'll also bring some shoes for all the side hikes.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for passing on your knowledge!

·
Registered
65 Posts
My buddy got the 5.10 canyoneers for the Grand. He's on the trip right now so don't have any feedback but he seemed to think they'd be great before he went.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Best thing I ever learned from a rafter, alaskan tennis shoes, plus if they are good enough for deadliest catch how can you argue:

Xtratuf Boots | Your One Stop Shop for Xtratuf Work Boots
I have a muck boot like this from Sportsmans Warehouse in C Springs (nothing special, about $35). Gotta have it for a GC trip. I strongly suggest buying a pair in a store rather than online. Various boots in your correct shoe size can be easy/hard to put on.

I'm at GC at the end of April, too. I'm bringing the Chacos, a water shoe that fits me when I wear a thick wool sock, my muck boots, and something lightweight for camp. Pack your bedroom slippers!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have a muck boot like this from Sportsmans Warehouse in C Springs (nothing special, about $35). Gotta have it for a GC trip. I strongly suggest buying a pair in a store rather than online. Various boots in your correct shoe size can be easy/hard to put on.

I'm at GC at the end of April, too. I'm bringing the Chacos, a water shoe that fits me when I wear a thick wool sock, my muck boots, and something lightweight for camp. Pack your bedroom slippers!

David, Don't forget your toenail polish:rolleyes:

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've boated with David and he's secure with his manhood. I seem to remember getting my toenails painted--was it that trip or another? Blessedly can't remember! :)
I remember one guy who had his painted while he was passed out in his chair from one too many beers. He woke up, saw his feet, and then for a while he kept thrusting his toes into the sand, trying to scrub off the paint.

·
Registered
178 Posts
ditch boots like xtra tuff for sure. I have a "ditch boot" ( because they're worn in the ditch (Grand Canyon)) that are from a hardware store in town, but the Xtra tuffs are really the way to go. They double for everything else also. You'll also want flip flops and a hiking shoe, if that's hat you're into.
Enjoy the trip

·
Registered
190 Posts
1) high top neoprene booties over plastic bags over wool socks. Pull your splash pants over the top of your booties.
2) hiking boots
3) keens
4) 1 pair wool socks for every 3 days

·
Registered
135 Posts
Adidas Outdoor Boat CC Lace Water Shoe

I just picked up a pair of these in red. They look awesome with my purple GMER :cool:

If I'm scouting or hiking in the dry suit, I'll throw on some gaiters since these shoes don't have a neoprene cuff.

The soles are pretty light weight so I'm sure they have limitations. However, for the style factor alone, these are worthy. I got mine for $52 including shipping. And they feel pretty stable so far in the living room.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the NRS boundary shoe is an overkill? Muck boots will work just fine? Do you wear the muck boots in the boat all day if it's cool weather?

·
Registered
190 Posts
the problem with muck boots is, if you happen to swim, they'll fill up with water pull you to the bottom of the river, or -- best case scenario -- they'll come off and your feet won't be protected. So, if you can afford the expensive ones, buy them.

The problem is still that, regardless of the boot or shoe, your feet still get wet. Hence, the plastic bags.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you're going for great cold weather boots that are great for any occasion (except for swimming), my vote goes to Bogs. Oh so comfortable and will last you many years to come. My first introduction to them was when I saw NPS Grand Canyon boatmen wearing them.
This is the pair I have.
Classic High Men's - 60142 - Bogs Footwear - The Official Website
Not as cheap as the $35 muck boots, but you won't be disappointed.
(I'd second the neoprene booties for rapids)

·
Registered
711 Posts
the problem with muck boots is, if you happen to swim, they'll fill up with water pull you to the bottom of the river, or -- best case scenario -- they'll come off and your feet won't be protected. So, if you can afford the expensive ones, buy them.

The problem is still that, regardless of the boot or shoe, your feet still get wet. Hence, the plastic bags.
I don't wear the muckers when there is a flip risk. Good tip for the pastic wrap around a wool sock, Hotch.

In GC, with the relative infrequency of the rapids, I will take off the muckers and wear something else, then after a rapid dry my feet with a towel, then put back on dry socks. Easy to do with a dry box very accessible.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The muckers are ideal. It's incredible how warm and dry they stay. Still, I have to say, those boots fishpyro posted the link for look sweeeeeet even though they are a little pricey.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Do you wear the muck boots in the boat all day if it's cool weather?
You are going to the Grand Canyon at the end of April. You won't even need the muck boots. Bring socks for cool evenings and tennis shoes will be fine.

Don't pack too much. Pack too little.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Another vote for sneaks and chaco's. I was totally happy w that in March. Muck boots sound like overkill,except for maybe dec and jan. Course,I like to feel the mud,sand and water on my feet...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts