Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now the Numbers are at 2300 and Browns at 2500 and the Gorge at 3000. It is so incredibly fun everywhere. I think these are the optimum levels. You? It has dropped a lot in the past 10 days which has opened up more opportunity for more folks to paddle on the Ark. It is funny to think that now at 2300 cfs that these "lower flows" are great.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
3000 in Browns last Sunday was a blast. Curios to see it today around 2500.
Ran fractions/frog yesterday at 2250 and it was some of the busiest class 3 I have ever done in an oar rig, especially that first 2 miles below railroad.

None of the stretches look pleasant to swim at these levels but obviously people are managing it. Glad it dropped but having fun at the current levels.

Phillip

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last night was so fun on the Numbers. Went from Stealth to 7. Everything is soft and fluffy and and with the medium flows now, it is much more manageable. Should be an awesome week on the ARK
The River Flow is up to 1550.0 CFS on Buena Vista Whitewater Park of the Arkansas River. Thanks for using the Riverbrain.com flow notification service.

·
Registered
93 Posts
>>"Went from Stealth to 7"

What does this mean exactly. Is stealth above numbers put in. Sounds like seven is below the railroad bridge takeout?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Stealth to 7

Treewell - Stealth put-in is upstream of the official Numbers put-in by about a half mile. "7" is the first rapid in the Fractions which starts about a quarter of a mile below #6 in the Numbers and is about 1/3rd mile long, and it is above the Railroad Bridge access point. Also, to further this description, the first rapid below Railroad Bridge is called #8 by some of us who have been kayaking the Numbers/Fractions long before rafts ever thought to run the Numbers/Fractions. ;):):D

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Treewell - Stealth put-in is upstream of the official Numbers put-in by about a half mile. "7" is the first rapid in the Fractions which starts about a quarter of a mile below #6 in the Numbers and is about 1/3rd mile long, and it is above the Railroad Bridge access point. Also, to further this description, the first rapid below Railroad Bridge is called #8 by some of us who have been kayaking the Numbers/Fractions long before rafts ever thought to run the Numbers/Fractions. ;):):D
Interesting. I've never heard the Miracle Mile called #8. :) I always defer to the early river runners when it comes to rapid's names but I know guys that were running this rio in fiberglass that call it the Miracle Mile. Now what? :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interesting. I've never heard the Miracle Mile called #8. :) I always defer to the early river runners when it comes to rapid's names but I know guys that were running this rio in fiberglass that call it the Miracle Mile. Now what? :)
That is not unusual for a rapid or section of river to have multiple names, which actually sounds kind of appropriate given that rivers have multiple personalities ;)! I was one of those running the Ark in fiberglass in the '70s along with a number of others, who are still paddling, and we had names for a few other rapids (eg. some in Brown's and Parkdale) that are now known by something else. Have you ever seen Doug Wheat's book "The Floaters Guide to Colorado" published by Falcon Books in 1983? A number of names were changed when the rafting industry really took off but not sure which companies, if any, had an impact in that regard. Back then, information was by word-of-mouth, or published books. Now that Colorado State Parks has created the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area, I would imagine that the names they applied to rapids and river sections on all of their maps will remain for the foreseeable future. Come to think of it, the Bighorn Sheep Canyon name started after the Division of Wildlife transplanted bighorn into the Arkansas River corridor sometime back in the 80's or 90's in an effort to publicize the sheep.

I wonder if we had a new rapid created in the future by some monster storm, who would get the credit for naming it? :p

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm getting conflicting beta from my River Guide app and the Nathrop Guage, my app says 2660 and Nathrop Guage reads 1700. Anyone have info on the actual flows they can share w me. Thx!

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
I'm getting conflicting beta from my River Guide app and the Nathrop Guage, my app says 2660 and Nathrop Guage reads 1700. Anyone have info on the actual flows they can share w me. Thx!
If you're in doubt as to whether you should trust your app or the gage, you should trust this:

USGS 07091200 ARKANSAS RIVER NEAR NATHROP, CO

You're welcome,

-AH

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Yeah, Don. I've seen the book you reference but I don't have a copy. I've got names for rocks and eddies and parts of rapids etc. Some are in "common" usage now, at least with my extended crew.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts