Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at picking up a dry top for cold class IV rafting in Colorado. A splash top isn't getting it done anymore. There are a lot of posts on dry tops for kayaking, but not much on rafting. Same gear, just used a little different, different kind of wear. Anyone have any insights?

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,438 Posts
i have had my kokatat for years and it has been good. whatever the badass one was before the rouge. anymore though, if i want my top i just put on the drysuit. kayaking you have the hot box around your legs most of the time protecting you from elements. with rafting you are either totally exposed to the air or totally exposed to the water and both can be cold in the canyons here. of course i am kinda becoming a puss in the cold these days and its always easy to cool down.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I use my full Kokotat drysuit when it's cold and crappy out or (just high melt off). The dry top is a bit cheaper, but everyone in my company that I work for uses the full suit intead of just the top. If you get one with a relief zipper- it'd probably be easier to use the nearest tree than taking off the top and unpeeling the wetsuit...just a thought.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't think I would ever wear a drytop rafting. Unless you fall out all the time, boat in the middle of winter, or only raft when its raining...they are unnecessary and not very comfortable. A decent cheap splash top with a good base layer (or just a base layer) should be fine for running class IV in Co.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I'd suggest that if you're going to make an investment in a new drytop for rafting (as opposed to kayaking with a closed deck), then you're far better off investing in a full drysuit. If you swim with a drytop for any length of time, you're going to get as cold as a splash top.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree with Flaco. Drysuits are great. If it's only for splash protection get a splash jacket. If it's for really being dry, the only option is a drysuit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts