Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladddy Dawdy, we likes to party, we don't cause no trouble, we don't bother no body - figured I'd start this post with a little Snoop.

Anyway, I'm at work - it's 2 am and I'm not kayaking this weekend. My first one off this season. I'm tired and sore with 70 days behind me. So in my nastalgia, I figured I see what some other people's favorite days on the river have been this year.

My top day had to be my virgin run down vallecito. That run is epic - the water, the rapids, the ridiculously cool boofs, the campsite....We had a great crew including Dr. Brad himself to show us down. The run was just over 2.1 and I had smooth lines all day. Cold Pibbers and a lady waiting at the takeout rounded out the run.

Second had to have been the crystal gorge, also with Brad and Mr. Crystal - Jeremy Signorini. Not a better feeling in the world than stomping Zoot.

Noteables were also my first no-portage run of the Big South with Pete and the dupe crew and also an early season, late evening Bear run with Cutch.

What was everyone else's favorite run this season? What was the funniest thing you saw (can you believe that a deer jumped onto kevin's boat)?
Joe

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Early season Gore with Ken O....I think it was March......or early April.....
SSV adding new rapids in my repertoire
But The All time Best was PROVING GROUNDS WITH CRAW AND LIVINGSTON
"Just like ol'times"
Times are Changin

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too bad the proving grounds didn't run longer this season, but I'm glad the highest day was during the LOG! Anyone fire up the booth slot this season?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Its been a great season!

Best day by far for me was 1st time on the Big South. Beautiful high alpine scenery, fantastic action packed rapids, amazing mini-gorges, incredible day.

Second was bear creek in the snow the first day it ran from the big blizzard. Ditching work, cruising the city gaping at the flooded south platte and cherry creek, and then two laps on bear creek with snow on the ground at the put in. Great day. The excitement of something running from rain / snow out of the blue is a kick in the ass.

Honorable mention was dropping back from the pack on the last day of the middle fork of the salmon and going into a solo surf mission deep in the heart of a huge canyon in idaho in the middle of nowhere. Total zen soul surfing moment.

On a more serious note, I am developing a severe case of low water-icitis. Withdrawls are a hard thing to go through...

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Yeah, it's hard to narrow it down to just one day. For me, this season has been awesome for finally getting stuff done that has been on my list for a long time: Salt, Fossil, Bear, Red River, Bluegrass, Upper Snake, Upper Tenmile, Blue Source, etc., etc. It's been an awesome season for exploring new rivers for me. I've managed to hit every drainage except the Crystal and Dolores.

Oh, yeah, and I guess Turkey was a bit of a highlight, in a sort of twisted masochistic way...

COUNT

·
Registered
834 Posts
Black Rock on its way down. 350 cfs with a portage of Rigor Mortis. I think the old folks home was there that day doing the same thing but I don't care. It was a stress-free sunny day.

·
Registered
820 Posts
1) Big South on a beautiful July day when the guys that "knew the run" didn't show. Actually remembered most of the lines (except for leading newbies into Slideways blind). One member of the group ran a solid section of class IV with no paddle, and I experienced the most dramatic piton of my life, but we finished the run with smiles on our faces in a repectable time.

2) Bear Creek at high water. I got my first run of the dam (which is a sweet drop with alot of water). We put on late and spent some time finding and freeing a lost boat post-swim, and hit the takout just as it was getting really dark.

3) Upper Animas- running a new river on warm sunny day. Good lines for rafters and kayakers alike, and margaritas at camp afterwards.

4) High water Bailey with the Freedom Fighters. Big crew on the river, 3 swims (including one hilarious hole beatdown) and all of them were totally harmless.

I could go on and on. We gotta get our Gore/Bailey on because this season just can't end!

·
Registered
95 Posts
March 13th...my daughter was born.

I paddled one day at the playpark, one day on lower clear creek at 1000 CFS (OMFG!) and one day on Foxton at 700 CFS. It was my first time on all of them and all three were awesome, but every run was overshadowed by the fact that I could be at home with my newborn. So, I sold my boating gear.

Now, anyone wanna buy a truck?

·
Registered
85 Posts
March 13th...my daughter was born.

I paddled one day at the playpark, one day on lower clear creek at 1000 CFS (OMFG!) and one day on Foxton at 700 CFS. It was my first time on all of them and all three were awesome, but every run was overshadowed by the fact that I could be at home with my newborn. So, I sold my boating gear.
Smart man.

But five years from now, though, and she should be big enough for a Fun 1.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Smart man.

But five years from now, though, and she should be big enough for a Fun 1.

No way. She doesn't boat whitewater until she's at least 10.

I've got plenty of other hobbies for her to follow my footsteps in, anyways. I was a skier first, climber second, hunter and fisherman third and cycling and whitewater came in tied at fourth.

What I'm going for is taking her up every 5.7 in Eldo by the time she's 14. Oh yeah, and can you imagine a 14 year old who can rip tele turns at Berthoud? And can identify depth hoar?

Whitewater is the least of my priorities.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Getting tossed in the Ostresizer at 3 grand, stomping upper Fish and Bailey at 700 were incredible but my top 2 were:

Encampment and Homestake. I have wanted to hit the Encampment for 6 years and i finally got a run. I never thought I would run Homestake but after watching the Teva race, we figured, what the hell....icing on the cake! That puts me over 70 runs that I have checked off from CRCII....any one else trying to check em all? At this pace I only have about 20 more years to go.

·
Registered
929 Posts
1. Big South for the first time and then hitting up Cool World for the first time and making Pete proud with my boof.

2. Crested Butte Creeks: Got to run everything except stupid falls. That place is just a whitewater disneyland.

3. Joe Wright and Spencer Heights first time. Once again Pete was proud at cornholio.

Looking forward to a lot of time on Bailey and Gore in the next three weeks
Oh yeah getting hit by a deer was also pretty cool

·
Registered
393 Posts
Being a recent CO transplant a lot of local runs are still really new and exciting for me. Highlights:

1. Big South: lived up to the hype. I'm actually glad the road is closed most of the season, otherwise I would probably never paddle anything else.

2. Pinos: Epic wilderness adventure with a great crew. I might go back if my feet ever recover from the hike.

3. Watching various shit-talkers (including myself!) get scared/destroyed/roped out of holes/hike out of gorges. Lots of unfinished business for me and my friends to take care of next season.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Getting tossed in the Ostresizer at 3 grand, stomping upper Fish and Bailey at 700 were incredible but my top 2 were:

Encampment and Homestake. I have wanted to hit the Encampment for 6 years and i finally got a run. I never thought I would run Homestake but after watching the Teva race, we figured, what the hell....icing on the cake! That puts me over 70 runs that I have checked off from CRCII....any one else trying to check em all? At this pace I only have about 20 more years to go.
I'm somewhere in the 50's but figured that at the rate I'm going it should only take 4-6 more years :D However, I suspect things will slow down once I finish all the easy and logistically simple ones. Runs like Toltec, Rock Creek, and Piney River may never happen for me. Gotta keep your eye on the ones from CRCI, too, though. There's four or five that aren't in II (Unc Gorge, Smith, Leon, and some flatwater run). There was some guy on here about a year ago who had done all but 10 or 15 of 'em. Impressive. But now I've this damned new book to work on, too. 400+ runs? C'mon guys, are you just trying to torture people? But no, really, huge props to Kyle and Evan and all the contributors for that sick new book.

COUNT

·
Registered
786 Posts
1. Running the CB creeks with my (real) dad was pretty cool, especially running wicked wanda blind with the instructions easy double drop, probably don't need to boof

2. its a week, but got to run the main salmon, my first overnight river trip longer than two days and it was amazing

·
Registered
343 Posts
Definitely not on the same level as most of these lists but I am bored at work.

- pacuare Costa Rica, jungle paradise. Even with the swims. The water was 70 deg.

- Upper and lower mish at 4'

- First time in Middle narrows

I figure I am set up to expand the list next season

A lot of credit is due to the folks leading me along the way.

Thanks peeps

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pine creek and numbers with low water with Count and Jace and a fistfull of others. It was one of my few days paddling this year, but it kicked ass

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
For me, getting as many new runs as possible makes the best season. I've traded quality for quantity over the years, and am finally finding a healthy balance. A few of my favorite times this season. Hard to rank them, but I'll number them for the hell of it.

1) Finishing a book.

2) Taking my 6 yr old daughter on Gates of Lodore for her first raft trip last week. I'm so grateful to the people that helped make it happen.

3) South Fork Salmon. Just Tina and I for 70 miles, big water cruising rapids, and pristine beaches. I watched Tina's confidence soar as she led the biggest rapids.

4) Double Trouble on the Big South. High side of optimal, and most of the boys were there that day, including the FC locals. Best line I could have ever hit. It's an amazing feeling to do something exactly how you imagined doing it. Best boof of the season for me. As far as pushing my personal limits, that was the moment.

5) Floating by the officer at the put-in to Cheeseman with 13 kayakers. Not getting arrested at the takeout.

6) Paddling Clear Creek on peak day. We put-in at Lawson Hole. We arrived in Golden WWP 4 hours and 10 minutes later, and I didn't portage. We passed lines of cars stuck in I-70s sunday traffic. When the five of us finally made it to dinner we had shots of whiskey as an appetizer.

7) First Falls, Bailey. I've had a couple seasons of no scout, no portage runs on Bailey now. Another personal challenge that can only be done on my local creek run. Just when you think you've mastered a drop, it crushes you. The first time I ran it this year I had a slightly sketchy back ender, but no roll. The second run, I back endered, spun while on end, and was slammed into the wall body first. I rolled up dazed and stunned.

8) Third run, Bailey, solo. I was in a hurry to make dinner plans with the Wigstons. At the boater's dream house a woman was hanging out in a bikini. Figured it was going to be a good day just based on that. Cleaned first falls, finally. Missed my first two eddies in Super Man, but recovered nicely. Come to think of it, Bear Creek with Joe was probably a better day.

9) Gore at 2700ish. Just Fred and I, the day after Cheeseman. Pyrite was HUGE.

10) Just a classic roadtrip. Three of us on the road with six boats for 10 days, and 3500 miles. We paddled in Idaho, Washington, BC, and Montana. I experienced Devils Club first hand while hiking out of a bear infested run, ran tons of class V, and paddled 9 new runs with old and new friends.

Keep the stories coming. See you all at Gorefest!

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
taylor canyon at 700

my best day was blue angeling the taylor from Corner Pocket (the fish'n access just below Lottis Creek) all the way to Almont, with one two mile portage around Crystal Creek Properties. 18 miles or something of non stop class III/III+ granite. one break for food/safety at Tod's Slot and that was it

such a fun stretch

1 - 20 of 45 Posts