Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am applying to colleges soon and am wondering what are some great academic schools with some great kayaking near by. Colorado at Boulder, Oregon, and Washington are currently at the top of my list. Would those be good options? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
993 Posts
WVU is pretty close to some good stuff. DC has a lot of creeks and great falls on the Potomac...and there are a dozen or so colleges around the capital. Appalachian State could be fun.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Man there are good boating rivers everywhere! Choose your college based on the program, you will find boating nearby.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
I recomend skipping the whole college thing, and becoming a raft guide/ski bum instead,
Guiding is the BEST way to ruin your life in one summer, live in a van down by the river, become completely spoiled having a job you enjoy, never make any money, destroy your sense of direction in life, never amount to anything, spend your college tuition at the bar.

It was awesome!! I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Scratch Boulder off your list and you have a couple of good options. I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before on here - do some searching.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Boulder is pretty prime. they have a good whitewater park right through town, and some good creeking up boulder canyon and you are close to clear creek in golden, st.verain in lyons, south platte, Arkansas river, poudre river and many more. There is plenty of amazing climbing and skiing in close proximity as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Colorado School of Mines if you're into the whole engineering bit. It's a small, but tight kayaking club/community at the school and great access to nearby Clear Creek, South Platte, and other Front Range rivers. Will not provide year round boating, but depending on your commitment the season can stretch from March(ish) to November(ish).

Probably not the greatest school for boating, but I'm just providing a perspective that few others probably will.

But to piggy back on Gary...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Boulder is not prime for boating. The kayak season is very short and in the summer. You have summers off in college - you can drive to Colorado or California in the summer and get almost all the boating those places have to offer.

If you want a school for boating pick a place with fall/winter/spring boating. Pac NW or mid-atlantic/south east are your best bets.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
How is Boulder a prime boating destination? Good access to pool sessions? There will be virtually no boating during the school year with the exception of a couple low water shoulder season (a couple of months at best) runs 2 1/2 hours away. The great Boulder playpark, otherwise known as a couple sticky ledge holes, runs for 2 weeks in June in a good year, 4 weeks in an epic year. Yeah, there's other great outdoor activities available, but the question is about boating.

Compare to being in Bellingham for instance, where you'll basically have world class boating available to you almost every week throughout the entire school year. There's really no comparison.

It's great if you love CO, no problem there, but let's be realistic.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Please told tell this kid Colorado boating stretches from march to November (especially near Denver). That is just not our water situation. Spring melt is basically Mid-May to Late July if your lucky. Just about any other places mentioned would have far more boating opportunities. Great place to live but a short season. And as far as playparks Golden and Boulder would rate a C or D at best.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Umm, boating in Colorado goes well into the fall, albeit not real plentiful (Gore and other parts of the Colorado).
Boulder creeking season is cranking in June. The creeking close to boulder is insanely good, st vrain north and south, source, usb, big T, and other stuff. I'm pretty sure there are more playparks in Colorado than any other state as well, take your pick.
If you want to go to school in Colorado, hard to beat Boulder, this coming from an FLC alumnus. Durango is great too. Wasted State has some goods too.
What type of wussy leaves town right before boating season gets good anyway?
The NW is probably great too, i'm just more familiar with Co.

·
Registered
20 Posts
KSC, from being from boulder you don't know very much about the flows of the creek, this year it was flowing great throughout may and june, an almost two month season. It is more than just a couple sticky ledge holes too, there are some great surfing spots, some good slides and girls in their bikinis. Doesn't really make much sense that you would live in Boulder and bash your home run.. might not be a very trust worthy source.... But I do agree that Washington would be a better bet if boating is going to be your whole life

·
$5 shower
76 Posts
Umm, boating in Colorado goes well into the fall, albeit not real plentiful (Gore and other parts of the Colorado).
Boulder creeking season is cranking in June. The creeking close to boulder is insanely good, st vrain north and south, source, usb, big T, and other stuff. I'm pretty sure there are more playparks in Colorado than any other state as well, take your pick.
If you want to go to school in Colorado, hard to beat Boulder, this coming from an FLC alumnus. Durango is great too. Wasted State has some goods too.
What type of wussy leaves town right before boating season gets good anyway?
The NW is probably great too, i'm just more familiar with Co.
Fort Lewis or Western State. That's it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am biased, but Southern Oregon University in Ashland, Oregon puts you close to quite a few day trips and multi-day rivers year-round.

Within two hours of Ashland: Numerous sections of the Rogue (including W&S), NF Rogue, North Umpqua, South Umpqua, rec and wilderness stretch of the Illinois, Upper and Lower Applegate, Carberry, Scott, Upper Klamath, Lower Klamath (half-day to many days), NF/SF/MF Smith, Sacramento (box canyon and down)...

A little more driving and you've got the Cal-Salmon, Redwood Creek, Trinity (Burnt Ranch among other stretches)...

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
KSC, from being from boulder you don't know very much about the flows of the creek, this year it was flowing great throughout may and june, an almost two month season. It is more than just a couple sticky ledge holes too, there are some great surfing spots, some good slides and girls in their bikinis. Doesn't really make much sense that you would live in Boulder and bash your home run.. might not be a very trust worthy source.... But I do agree that Washington would be a better bet if boating is going to be your whole life
So all it takes is spending a year bouncing down some class III on Boulder Creek and you're an expert on the local and national scene, eh? Sounds good.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The only way that you would think that Boulder has good boating is if you had never paddled anywhere else- like if you had only been paddling for one year.

During the school year, the closest good paddling to Boulder is usually Gore Canyon, which is 3 hours away, and that is not even an option November-March.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am biased, but Southern Oregon University in Ashland, Oregon puts you close to quite a few day trips and multi-day rivers year-round.

Within two hours of Ashland: Numerous sections of the Rogue (including W&S), NF Rogue, North Umpqua, South Umpqua, rec and wilderness stretch of the Illinois, Upper and Lower Applegate, Carberry, Scott, Upper Klamath, Lower Klamath (half-day to many days), NF/SF/MF Smith, Sacramento (box canyon and down)...

A little more driving and you've got the Cal-Salmon, Redwood Creek, Trinity (Burnt Ranch among other stretches)...
Quiet Will! There are enough Californians here as it is...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts