Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm setting up a floor for my 16 foot cat what is the best way to put in a floor? Pictures are much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
My experience with the NRS webbing floor was not good. Way too much flex. I used a solid floor made of skid guard. Small floor, just enough size to stand on. Worked great with an NRS cat frame.

·
Shapp
1,849 Posts
I can recommend Jan at Stiches n Stuff. She makes excellent floors at good prices to what ever spec you want. Some times you might not want a floor and some times you might want one. Being able to take the floor off is key in my mind, on a multi day with lots of gear or on a day trip with kids you might want the floor, then you might want to run some gnarly water, or low water where you might want to fred flinstone, and want the floor off.
CATARAFT FLOORS AND RIGGING

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Sotar's web floor,10 years tight as a drum, drains quickly after being submerged by a big hole. Can cast a fly rod standing up with no other support it is so taunt.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Stay away from NRS...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Yep. The NRS webbing floor + their flexy lower rails = major suck. The solid floors attached to the lower rails yielded structural support and a nice floor to stand on. I've never had the chance to stand on the seatbelt webbing floor. Always thought it sounded like a good option.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I really like my Polymax floor and should learn how to post a picture.

I've got some Polymax after seeing Alex's post and have used it inside drop bags but never thought of it for flooring, at least unsupported floor. Will it hold you you - seems like it would eventually crack and break apart?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've been extremely happy with my NRS aluminum floors. I and a buddy both have the 72" aluminum floors on our cat frames. Another buddy has the 66" on his cat frame. Full length of our frames. All three frames and floors were purchased in 2001 and are going strong 14-years later.

I love stacking gear on the hard floor and I'm always reminded of this when I rig my round boat with everything hanging from the frame off the floor. The hard floor is like loading a truck bed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 16 ft. Cat has marine plywood painted a nice river blue. It's withstood the test of time and if fully customizable to your needs.

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,263 Posts
I've got some Polymax after seeing Alex's post and have used it inside drop bags but never thought of it for flooring, at least unsupported floor. Will it hold you you - seems like it would eventually crack and break apart?
I initially put Polymax in the floor of my Captains bay in 2011. I strapped it tight to the droprails and then ran straps off the top crossbars down and laced it through the floor so I had a strap under the floor where I would typically stand. It had some bounce but I came to completely trust it and it worked for years. Last year I reconfigured my frame and moved my rowing position forward. This allowed me another bay for passengers behind me and I added a second Polymax floor. I was able to move the crossbars on the droprails of my Down River frame to place them in the center of these two floors making it really solid. I reused the first floor and it is still as good as new. I also made a front " wall" with cutouts for my feet in lieu of a footbar.

I got a lot of ideas from "Chip" on here who builds small cats for research and uses the Polymax extensively.

I really need to figure out how to post a picture...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Our 16' lion only has a floor in the captains bay. Everything else is boxes, cooler, and drop/Barney bag. But I have also run a little wildcat floorless and an NRS setup with fabric floor. I think what floor setup is best depends on your frame type and usage. I agree that NRS style drop rails with a fabric floor (of any make) is problematic unless frame cross members are added.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 16 foot cat came with grid wall (retail hanger stuff) for the floor. I love that I can see through to the river. Only real issue would be its not the best to walk on with bare feet. That polymax looks good

·
Registered
385 Posts
Call AIRE, their floors are the best floor you can buy, period. I've seen a lot of floors and none come close. They will make custom sizes. Not the cheapest. All Pvc welded with encased rods running full length so the tension is even.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
There are only two options on my cat for a floor. Everything else has a box or cooler or drop bag. My passenger area has a wood floor I made from 2x2 lumber strips. I use a strap to help support yhe load of a passenger because I didnt feel comfortable with the 3'5" span from drop to drop.

My rowing section has a drop in welded aluminum platform where I made scout bars. The center is completely free. I can swim up through the opening, my wife can squat and pee, and if the river is shallow I can offload my weight and help lift the boat over gravel bottoms

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
Never actually seen it in operation, but I always thought trampoline bed material would be perfect; it's UV resistant, tougher than my banker, and not really expensive; plus it's relatively easy to work with.
It will let water drain through, but provide some solid support.

Trampoline Fabric: Trampoline Fabric Manufacturers, Suppliers, Exporters

This stuff comes in colors and is either 13' or 14' wide; you have to order 3 yards minimum, but for less than $60 you could fashion a floor that I think would be the thing! In case you are concerned the stuff might tear easily or not be up to the task, you could probably double it up and be almost bullet proof.

If I had a cat I'd be looking to try it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts