Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
we did a layover at the joe hutch rapid - immediate below the rapid pull river right.

awesome sand beach, big trees for shade level, decent hike up canyon. watch folks run the rapid.

get there early, run the drop and grab the site

·
Registered
115 Posts
Reservation

There is a campsite on river left on the reservation. There are some great hikes with small cliff ruins and petroglyphs. It is the same camp that has the burned out foundations from an old ranch. Big sandy beach, great camping... and of course I can't remember the name. It is just after the river takes a right hand turn and through a named rapid.

Maybe someone else can remember what it is called...

Joe Hutch campsite (aka cowswim) used to be my favorite before the flash flood a few years back. There were two good surf waves or you could hike up and swim the rapid. Wish it was still that way. The rapid is more fun now even though the best beach is gone.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
There is a campsite on river left on the reservation. There are some great hikes with small cliff ruins and petroglyphs. It is the same camp that has the burned out foundations from an old ranch. Big sandy beach, great camping... and of course I can't remember the name. It is just after the river takes a right hand turn and through a named rapid.

Maybe someone else can remember what it is called...

I believe it is Chandler Canyon UP at river mile 46.9. I would not recommend doing a layover there, because locals drive down with beer to party. That’s how the old abandoned ranch burned.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
In all honesty, most of the campsites between the first rapid and Wirefence are all great camps.

Get a permit for river left to provide some flexibility.

Phillip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts