Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, what are some good kayaks (old or new) for someone just starting in the sport? I understand river runners are best.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Riverrunners are great for running rivers
Creekers are great for doing creeks
Playboats are great for playboating

IE it depends on what you want to do. What direction do you want to go.

CKS has a good description of your options.

whitewater kayaks

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you're just trying to find a good used starter boat, I'd go out and see what's available (what people are selling) and then look the boats up on Eddy Flower. Once you think you've found a good one, then ask here (or other forums) what people think of it. There are so many different boats, asking for people to list what they like won't get you very far in actually buying a boat. Besides, it's very dependent on the person and what kind of water they paddle too.

In general a river runner will be easier to learn with, but many people learn in playboats too. You also want something at least semi-recent.

That said, there are some boats that were/are really popular. The EZ and the Inazone come to mind. The RPM too, but I personally wouldn't recommend an RPM even though lots of people still seem to like them. Boat design has advanced a lot since the RPM came out.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'd advise a entry level class from an outfitter that will allow you to try different boats. Find one that's confortable within the realm of boats they suggest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts