Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to take my daughter and some other young kids for a day trip (or ideally a single overnight) on the ark. can someone suggest a section??

if not, is the upper C really the best other option? trying to avoid it, as im unfamiliar with it and would rather not camp with the trains...

detailed put-in, take-out and campsite suggestions are really appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
it would depend on the kids. skill level, age, etc?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
young. between 14 and 18 months old- but both have been down ruby horsethief, grizzly to 2 rivers park in glenwood, etc.

just looking to do an overnighter to put the summer to bed and enjoy another quick couple of days with them on the water.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The best kid section is from Salida downstream. A good day trip is to float from Salida to Rincon, the best swiming and playing beach on the Ark is just above Rincon with sandstone cliffs for jumping and a protected cove for little kid play. We usually float straight to that beach and hang out for hours.

You can keep going down to Valle Bridge which is another 10 miles and there is a campground there.

If you have really little kids I would not go any further because Cottonwood Rapid is a couple miles downstream of Valle Bridge and is a pretty legit class III.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mike-
sounds like just what im looking for. put-in at the salida park, then?

also, how long is the float from salida to rincon? is it reasonable to think about floating to rincon for lunch/playing in the area you mentioned/ and then continuing down to the valle bridge campground to spend the night??

muchos gracias.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry to seem like a dumba$$, but here's why im a bit confused-
i checked in my Whitewater of the Southern Rockies book, and it lists Salida ro Pinnacle Rock as 9.8 miles (variable).

how long is the length that you describe, and is the valle bridge camping area a) clearly labeled in order to avoid cottonwood and b) close to raod access in order to hitch a ride back to salida the next day?

sorry to have so many questions- i just get over protective with my yound daughter on the river...

·
Registered
807 Posts
sorry to seem like a dumba$$, but here's why im a bit confused-
i checked in my Whitewater of the Southern Rockies book, and it lists Salida ro Pinnacle Rock as 9.8 miles (variable).

how long is the length that you describe, and is the Valle bridge camping area a) clearly labeled in order to avoid cottonwood and b) close to road access in order to hitch a ride back to salida the next day?

sorry to have so many questions- i just get over protective with my yound daughter on the river...
Salida to Rincon is 10 miles. About 2hrs right now. Rincon to Valle Bridge is another 10 miles. Slower than the first section because of the Howard flats. Rapids include, Bear Creek, Badger Creek, and Tin Cup as well as a few other Class II type of drops. Put in at Salida boatramp and take out at Valle Bridge or scout Cottonwood and see what you think and then take out at Lone Pine or somewhere.

Salida to Pinnicle Rock is more like 50 miles.

My kids were boating this section since they were 18months old at this flow. Glad to help....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
last question, mike- i promise.
is the valle bridge campground labeled? is it riverside??

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
Valle bridge is river left, and away from the highway. it is well labeled. Someone told me that camping there is float in only, but it didn't look that way to me as i floated by it at peak. It does have a big brick outhouse.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Valle bridge is river left, and away from the highway. it is well labeled. Someone told me that camping there is float in only, but it didn't look that way to me as i floated by it at peak. It does have a big brick outhouse.
Valle Bridge is float in only. There is a parking lot and outhouse on the upstream side of the bridge for day use. The campground is immediately below the bridge on river left there is an obvious eddy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts