Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to head for Warm Weather, Costa Rica, Mexico South America. What are the favorites for budget quality of paddling ease of camping/hotel airport access and quality of trip/solo for Mid February?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Costa Rica

take the bus to
Turrialba

hang out on the square or check with local outfitters for cheap places to stay, kayak rental, shuttle, food etc...

lots of people speak english, local drinking water is more ****** friendly than most, food is great, outstanding river runs within easy shuttle distance.

·
Abron Cabron
612 Posts
Or Ecuador... Small world adventures or there are some other smaller outfits. winter creeking...! I so want to go, one of these years.

·
Registered
426 Posts
+1 for Ecuador. Tena is the hub for class III, Baeza for class IV. Both areas are easy to get to from Quito but don't share Quito's watershed (FILTHY). You could go with an outfitter, but it's a cheap place to travel. In those two locations there will be boaters sharing taxi shuttles and boating every day during the winter, unless the water is too high. No visa required, american dollars are the currency (bring $1s & $5s- you can't break $20s or above), and the people are friendly and used to tourists. You could go just to paddle, or include many other cool adventures from the Amazon to the Andes. Once in country a flight to the Galapagos is only $200ish (2013). Flights from the states can be $850 round trip if you plan ahead, $1000+ if you don't.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Mid feb I would be concerned about water levels since no longer spring or rainy season most places. In that respect Ecuador is prob best bet. Would help to add length of stay and type of water and rivers you're looking for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts