Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Carlisle oar blade that is bent at the intersection of the black sleeve and the plastic blade. It's probably bent 15 degree or so when it should be obviously straight and flat. Otherwise the blade is in great condition. I've tried standing on it- didn't work, I've tried putting it in a vice and yarding on it but that didn't work...can I put the blade on a pillow and slowly drive over the bottom with my car tire?

Deso in 6 days- help a buzzard out!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ah ha, the offset spatula, been there done that. happened to me before and was able to place the blade in between two very large ledge rocks on the Green River near Joe Hatch Rapid and the using a 345 pound linebacker bend it back somewhat and then use it for the remainder of the trip. But since you are not on the riv yet I would buy a new blade and be done with trying to bend it back because you will more then likely crack or worse break the blade altogether either way the blade is of no use to you anymore anyway just replace it. good luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've bent more Carlisle blades than I care to admit, mostly back when I first started rowing. I even managed to bend one back "straight" enough to continue using it years later. You just need rocks/posts in the ground/raft frame bars/etc. with just the right spacing to place the force in the spot you are attempting to bend back. With some work, you can probably get it pretty close. It's likely impossible to get it bent back perfectly. And I don't know what the bending back does to the strength of the blade in the long term. But, as I said, I'm still using one I bent five years ago and haven't had a problem. The easiest thing to do is just replace it, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Agreed, x2...have a few on display.

·
Registered
14 Posts
With good placement on the bend and enough leverage, you should be able to get it mostly straightened. Make it part of your spare oar if you carry one. That is what I have done in the past.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

1 - 6 of 6 Posts