Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to decide on a good kayak to get into the sport. Between all of the different models available and the lack of reviews on many of the models I'm finding it's tough to make a decision. My local craigslist has the following options, if anyone has experience with any of these and can either recommend one of them, or steer me away from a yak that may be too advanced for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Dragorossi Pintail (7' 4") [$280]
Perception Corsika (10') [$320]
Wave Runner Super EZ (7') [$400]
Salto Eskimo (7' 10") [$350]

Based on what I have found I think I'm leaning towards the Salto Eskimo. Outside of the options above, if you have any further advice or recommendation I would be very grateful to the help.

·
Registered
471 Posts
None of those seem like smokin deals.

Corsica- NO ABSOLUTELY NOT. This is a vintage old school kayak, it is a classic in the same way that a Gremlin is a classic car. In my parts they go for $20 for planters

pintail- meh. I don't know much about them but they look like a mid 2000s design. catchy stern and bow, slow, not particularly good at anything.

Super EZ- OK I can get on board with this. IF it is under $200 and fits well.

Eskimo- you chose the best one for a first boat, I think. but a 10 year old boat better be in amazing shape for $350. Low ball whoever it is.

AND REMEMBER you are still going to have to get a decent paddle, PFD, helmet, skirt, floats, a rope......and IMO a drytop.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Fiya. I'm in the city, so the selection is sparce. But if I look out further and take a road trip to pick one up I may have better luck. You seem really knowledgeable, so I hope you don't mind me running a few more options by you.

Wavesport Diesel D65 [$400]
Wavesport project 52 [$350]
Necky Blunt [$250]
Response Dagger [$200] (Though says it's 12', seems extremely long for WW)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Diesel or project would work depending on what you're leaning towards diesel will be easy to roll the project will be tighter learning curve if the diesel has the white outfitting its worth 400 for sure if its the black id haggle down alil

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean by the white outfitting? I looked at the wavesport website and it doesn't look like there's different levels, just the D65 straight across. The one I'm looking at looks like it may be the model before the latest on their website.

I also just went into REI and talked with one of the guys there. Of their kayaks, he suggested the Dagger Zydeco. I can get it for $450 from them. Not sure how you guys feel about buying new or trying to get higher quality used, but the used selection isn't fantastic in my area.

Ultimately I would like to find a kayak that's going to hold up in the rapids (probably no more than class 2-3), and will be manageable on a lake. I realize some of the options I've listed are strictly WW kayaks. If I end up with one of those I'd likely go out and buy a cheap touring kayak for the flats. But if I can find something that would do me for both for at least the first summer I would be happy.

·
Registered
411 Posts
By white i mean the color white wavesports first outfitting was black then it turned white the the most recent is white with leg lifters the dagger your looking at is a recreational kayak leaned more towards lakes or lazy rivers not rolling or whitewater though i have taken rec kayaks down ww there are heavy and cumbersome I grab up the diesel

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I'm so new I don't know the lingo. I now know what the outfitting is, and yes it is the white. Thanks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sorry, I'm so new I don't know the lingo. I now know what the outfitting is, and yes it is the white. Thanks.
If you are new to Kayaking, that Diesel sounds like the best option. The Project X is a good boat, but it will have a steep learning curve.

Btw, what is your height and weight? It will effect the size of boat you choose.

·
Registered
29 Posts
dunno what it's like in the U.S., but back here in Yurrup the Diesel is a respected and very popular allround boat for a wide range of paddlers, and the main argument people use against it is that it makes things too easy for a beginner and doesn't punish bad behavior sufficiently.
The Eskimo should probably last you quite a bit because it is blow-molded and thus more durable plastic than most other boats out there. And at least back here it's still popular with your average Joe.

That said, the Diesel sounds like a much better deal, but check out if the hull is still intact, or how deep the scratches are.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately the guy with the diesel got back to me and it's sold. It looks like my options are the project (3 hours away w/ no gear), or the Eskimo (local and w/ a skirt). Both at $350 price tag. Thoughts?

Thanks again for the advice everyone. I'm stoked to get into the sport and wouldn't have known where to to begin.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The project is not a bad boat for up to -IV, IV once you develop general skills unless it's continuous and you have hole punching or boofing to do. Although designed as a play boat these days I would call it a river play boat for the average paddler who wants to throw some tricks on a wave or in the eddies and still run some drops.

If you have sights on creeking and river running and your drops are more of a continuous nature instead of pool drop the salto will likely take care of you a bit better and you can progress to more challenging water, it's just not going to be as reactive. The salto will sit higher in the water which will keep you dryer, eddies and laterals won't throw you off as much and it's stability will be better overall. You also have more space for gear for extended trips

My preference would be the project, but I am by no means a hard charger. Diesel was a good option for a more inbetweener, dagger Mamba or Jackson fun would not be a bad option either of you come across one. Just make sure you fall in the appropriate weight range.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Whitewater Kayaks for sale

This place might have a winner for you
The Wavesport EZ or EZG would be good- both $350
A Remix for $500
looks like they have a few others that aren't listed...

This EZ comes with a skirt
Wave Sport EZ Kayak w/Snap Dragon Spray Deck

If this is the Salto you're lookin at I think it looks pretty nice and it's probably one of their newer versions, though I don't think it's the newest
Whitewater kayak
I would go take a look and sit in it at least.

I've been keeping my eye out for a friend that lives in Bellingham...
Seems like folks over there sell their boats the way we sell our Subarus here in Colorado... way too fuckin inflated on the price. Saw a Prijon Alien for $200! We have one of these bad boys sitting in our garage currently, and would never even dream of asking $200 for it... maybe $50 or trade for a sack of weed, or something...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I ended up driving 7 hours round trip Saturday to make myself the proud new owner of a 2013 Wavesport Diesel D75, and can't wait to get on the water.

I'm taking a pool class this Wednesday to learn the basics of rolling and wet exits, and plan on getting out to a lake the next couple weekends to hone the skill.

The one thing I'm unsure of now is how to select a spray skirt. Since I'm not finding any write ups on the topic I'm thinking it's all based on personal preference? But how do I make sure the skirt will fit my boat?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nice choice. I just want to add this for the previous posters....since not all advice is good advice. -k- seemed to have it correct though.

The project and project X are 2 totally different boats. Project X is modern playboat, while project is a play/runner design.

The white WS outfitting initially did not have the leg lifters. I know this because by 2012 has the white outfitting but does not have the lifters. This was a later addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
255 Posts
There's not too much to look at regarding spray skirts other than does it fit snugly around your waist and snugly on the cockpit of your boat.

There's differences in the thickness of the skirt and how strong the shock cord is, but that won't matter to you for a while. It might never matter to you, depending on how hard of whitewater you paddle. I used the same entry level skirt for ~10 years, and just switched to a slightly nicer one last year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So should I be taking my kayak with me to a shop to size it, or can I rely on the company's sizing chart and order one online?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

1 - 20 of 24 Posts