Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, does anybody have any suggestions for an easy multi day kayaking trip near Boulder. I have a dog, and don't want to do anything too crazy. I would like to go in early August - is this too late? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,835 Posts
The pumphouse run below gore, on the colorado would be one of your only options. Where will your dog ride? Too much privte land to have him run on the bank. Not to mention cliffs.

·
Registered
660 Posts
the pumphouse is a good suggestion. you can also run below state bridge on the colorado, the section below pumphouse. if you feel like driving, there's always the loma (the colorado river near fruita) but it's about 5 hrs away. easy water though. great for dogs. maybe class II.

·
Registered
245 Posts
yeah, how do you do a multiday with the dog? just curious, not saying you can't or anything....??

were you thinking river or stillwater?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice! I have a Sea Eagle 420x tandem inflatable kayak with loads of room. My dog is a sheltie (about 25lbs) and will ride with my girlfriend in the rear seat. There is plenty of room in the bow and stearn for lightweight camping gear. I am an avid backpacker so I am used to travelling light. I am semi-new to kayaking and just want something easy. I would like to travel very slowly and see the sights. I'm not so much worried about Buddy getting wet, but I am worried about him falling out. He also has a disfigured front leg (runs very fast, however) and I am not sure how well he swims. He has a puppy life jacket, and does very well on flat water and easy rivers in Illinois. I just thought I would try something with a little nicer scenery.

Would I be better off looking for smaller creeks in this area, or would the water be way too low in early August? After doing some research, I have found that there are a handfull of rivers that seem really popular, and most are located in the Southwest region of Colorado. However, I can't help but think that there are lots of rivers or creeks near Rocky Mountain National Park or Boulder that I could explore. Also, what are the camping regulations along these creeks or rivers. Do I need to worry about private land?

Thanks again for helping me.

Cheers

·
Registered
265 Posts
You definitely want pumphouse to Dotsero...60 miles of class II with some IIIs in there to keep you on your toes. The dog would fine if he fell out in most places. There are only 2 rapids to look out for, 1) Bob's Bridge(pinball) is a railroad bridge on a left bend with water taking you into the abutment, and rodeo rapid, which you will notice from all the flat water paddling you'll be doing just prior. There will be no creeks or other rivers better within the same distance for what you want. There is camping at Pumphouse, Rio de Rancho has camping / cabins, just after State Bridge on river left, some other place, then jack flats... fills up quickly but can wing it, and a couple near Dotsero just after you start seeing more development (as in parks, boat ramp-ish type things).

I have blast doing this run with beginners in canoes.

·
Registered
245 Posts
yeah, the small creeks are going to be way too bony for you. the yampa could be a possiblity to, but the most senic areas are permitted... I did a canoe trip from craig to maybell, it was ok, but lots of cows and pastures, less of the dramatic scenery.

good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. The pumphouse to Dotsero looks like a nice run, but It's a bit of a drive. I would have to try to convice my friend in Boulder to cruise over three hours to pick us up. Also, from what I have been reading, it is mostly a day trip.

I might just try paddling some lakes in RMNP. Does anybody have any suggestions about this?

cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I am going to have to go to Arapaho or Roosevelt Forest. They have less restrictive rules I hear. Has anybody been to lake Granby? I heard that Columbine Bay was a nice place for non-motorized craft.

cheers

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you are willing to drive to Granby (from Boulder), you should just "go the distance" and hit up Pumphouse. It would be much more enjoyable than flatwater near Granby.

IMHO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts